• December 19, 2014

Racy photo of sorority sisters goes viral on social media

Posted: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 2:00 am | Updated: 2:54 pm, Wed Sep 3, 2014.

An inappropriate picture of UF’s chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi Sorority (AOII) sisters is circulating on social media.

In the photo, five sisters flash the camera while smiling and posing at a party.

One post on Facebook read, “And with this, the seniors say goodbye to Recruitment forever.” The photo has also appeared on Twitter and mentioned on the smartphone app, Yik Yak.

UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said the photo has come to the attention of UF administration.

“Steps are being taken to address the issue, and we talked to the chapter president and asked her to advise headquarters,” Sikes said.

As of now, UF has not taken disciplinary action against the sorority, she said.

“It doesn’t appear to be a conduct violation, but this is something these women will have to live with for the rest of their lives,” Sikes said.

This isn’t the first time a picture has landed a Greek organization in hot water. In 2012, a picture of two brothers in Beta Theta Pi in blackface went viral.

Rachel Boison, the assistant director of public relations for the sorority’s international headquarters, said the Alpha Omicron Pi International Headquarters is dealing with the issue.

“We are aware of the photo, and we are in communication with the sorority and will stay in communication to monitor the situation,”  Boison said.

The local chapter of AOII declined to comment.

Sharing these images on Twitter is a form of cyberbullying, said Lyrissa Lidsky, associate dean for International Programs at the Levin College of Law.

“Cyberbullying is any kind of meanness perpetrated online,” Lidsky said. “It can be emotionally devastating to be humiliated (online).”

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 9/2/2014 under the headline "Racy photo of sorority sisters goes viral on social media"]

3 comments:

• georgepeterson posted at 11:31 am on Sat, Sep 20, 2014.

georgepeterson Posts: 1

Just saw a community app called Spiral on TechCrunch. Looks awesome! The link is sprlr.com

• blablabla posted at 1:59 pm on Fri, Sep 5, 2014.

blablabla Posts: 1

She said, as if they had killed a family, these girls showed their boobs, this isn't horrific and it seems out of place for the school to be judging them. Way to slut shame UF

• BSchram posted at 9:50 pm on Tue, Sep 2, 2014.

BSchram Posts: 1

Fun fact: AP style for Alpha Omicron Pi is "AOII" not "AOPi."
    -Sincerely a sister of AOII Kappa Gamma, Florida Southern