The Chords of Color for a Cause Festival, presented by UF Performing Arts and Shands at UF, is being brought back for its second season starting July 22.

The event will feature four performances from artists who have either survived cancer or have experienced it through a friend or loved one.

This year, the event will feature a documentary by John Kaplan, a UF Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer, called "Not As I Pictured." Kaplan, who survived a rare case of lymphoma, filmed his experience with the disease. His film will be shown Aug. 2 in the Squitieri Studio Theatre.

Kaplan's event is particularly special to sponsor since he was treated at Shands, said Lindy Brounley, communications director of UF Shands Cancer Center.

This series of events is important because it helps to share experiences for some and provides understanding for others, she said.

"Art touches people in very special ways and when a person is undergoing cancer treatment or is recovering from cancer," she said. "As a survivor, it's a very emotional process for folks. Being able to express themselves through art is a wonderful way to share their experiences."

Student tickets for all shows are available for $12.