• December 21, 2014

NJ woman arrested after having sex with Gainesville boy

Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:30 am

A New Jersey woman, who traveled about 1,000 miles several times to have sex with a 16-year-old boy in Gainesville, was arrested last week in her hometown.

Officers from the Carteret Police Department arrested Lisa Silva, 33, on unlawful sexual activity with a minor and traveling to meet a minor for unlawful sexual conduct charges, said GPD Spokesman Officer Ben Tobias.

The relationship started in July 2011 when Silva and the boy met on a Facebook game called YoVille, Tobias said.

Silva and the boy continued to talk to each other via phone calls, text messages, emails, letters and three in-person meetings.

Silva traveled to Gainesville twice to have sex with the boy, once in December 2011 and again in February 2012, Tobias said.

Gainesville Police started its investigation along with the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office and the FBI after one of the boy’s family members tipped off the department about the relationship, Tobias said.

Investigators issued a sworn complaint affidavit to the State Attorney’s Office against Silva Dec. 12, Tobias said. On Feb. 7, the SAO issued a capias warrant for Silva’s arrest.

At about 11 p.m. Feb. 18, Carteret Police arrested Silva during a traffic stop and booked her into the Middlesex County Adult Corrections facility Feb. 19 on a $100,000 bond.

Silva was released Monday after she met bail.

Contact Kathryn Varn at [email protected].

1 comment:

• Romulan posted at 2:55 am on Thu, Feb 28, 2013.

Romulan Posts: 492

33? Other similar stories place her age at 42.

The age of consent in NJ is 16. Georgia is 16. DC is 16. This wouldn't even be a 'story' if it happened elsewhere. It seems like a case of parents not paying attention to their kid's behavior and then trying to blame someone else after the fact. Also, it's a big waste of law enforcement/taxpayer money. She can probably argue that the parents coerced the kid to make his statement (against his own wishes.)

In Europe, it's a little more liberal; for example...

Germany
    The age of consent in Germany is 14, as long as a person over the age of 21 does not exploit a 14–15 year-old person's lack of capacity for sexual self-determination, in which case a conviction of an individual over the age of 21 requires a complaint from the younger individual; being over 21 and engaging in sexual relations with a minor of that age does not constitute an offense in and of itself. Otherwise the age of consent is 14, although provisions protecting minors against coercion apply until the age of 18 (under section Section 182(1) it is illegal to engage in sexual activity with a person under 18 "by taking advantage of an exploitative situation.")

Was she taking advantage of him and exploiting him? I don't see how, given the distance involved. It just sounds like a pathetic case for the prosecutor to have on his desk. Now they have to extradite her to Florida to formally charge her (probably.)