• November 20, 2014

Gainesville roam towing fee to rise after City Commission vote

Loading…

Posted: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:04 am | Updated: 1:12 am, Tue Jul 1, 2014.

Illegally parking at a friend’s apartment complex “just for a minute” now has an even more expensive consequence.

The Gainesville City Commission voted 5-2 to raise the rates of roam towing at its last meeting, which raised the rate from $76 to $100 for light-duty vehicles.

Mayor Ed Braddy and Commissioner Randy Wells voted against the measure.

This is the first significant rate hike since 1994, when the roam towing rate was $70, Commissioner Todd Chase said.

Since then, towing companies argued, expenses have gone up.

At the meeting, UF Student Body President Cory Yeffet spoke against the decision, which was made in the last five minutes of the commission meeting.

Yeffet said he would support raising towing fees if it were backed up with financial data, but he called this jump “unsubstantiated and arbitrary.”

He voiced concern that rising fees would “increase predatory practices” of local roam towing companies.

“The students definitely feel that $76 is pretty high as is,” he said. “Especially compared to the cost of getting your car towed regularly if it breaks down.”

UF’s Student Senate has been vocal against towing fee raises in the past. They passed a resolution against rising fees in 2012, when the tow rate hike was last discussed, according to Alligator archives.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 7/1/2014 under the headline "Roam towing fee to rise"]

Bio box
mug

Alex Harris

Alex Harris was the Editor-in-Chief of the Alligator in Summer 2014 and a 21-year-old journalism and sustainability studies senior. She likes cooking, spending time in the sun and making convincing cat noises.

3 comments:

• Argonner posted at 1:27 am on Thu, Jul 10, 2014.

Argonner Posts: 1

Increased profits for the vultures...

• GatorOs posted at 11:15 am on Wed, Jul 2, 2014.

GatorOs Posts: 1

1. Taking into account inflation, $70 in 1994 is the equivalent of approx. $112. So in current dollars the rate isn't even keeping up with what was established 20 years ago.
    2. Other municipalities (small and large) have had three-figure rates for years.
    3. Care breaks down all the time? Free tows with AAA. An annual membership is cheaper than one tow in 1994.

• Romulan posted at 9:07 pm on Tue, Jul 1, 2014.

Romulan Posts: 479

https://www.gainesvillepd.org/index.php/online-services/tow-complaints

If you think you were wrongfully towed, fill out a complaint there. You can get the tow company in trouble (they get a citation/fine) and your money back.