• November 23, 2014

Democrats, Republicans split on Romney’s 47 percent remarks

Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:45 am | Updated: 1:40 pm, Thu Sep 20, 2012.

Days after a video leaked about presidential nominee Mitt Romney telling supporters that 47 percent of the nation is overdependent on government support, the nationwide discussion has trickled down to Gainesville.

Across the city, people chattered. Two veterans and a minister sat outside of the downtown Starbucks late Wednesday morning, sipping coffee and discussing the newly termed “47 percent.”

Democrats planned a roundtable meeting Wednesday to speak their peace.

At the Organizing for America headquarters, at 315 SE Second Ave., 60-year-old mental health psychologist Dawn Burgess-Krop talked with two other Democrats about why she feels Romney has his facts wrong.

“When I hear Mitt Romney talk about us being victims and wanting a handout from the government, I don’t know who he’s talking about — some imaginary people I don’t know,” Burgess-Krop said.

Thomas Hawkins, a 32-year-old city commissioner at large, spoke about how the government has helped him out with paying back student loans and his mortgage.

During this national debate, Republicans have come to Romney’s aid.

“It’s not that he doesn’t care about these people,” said Katy Melchiorre, chairwoman of UF College Republicans. “He just feels their vote is a lost cause.”

Frank Moehrle, chairman of Gators for Romney, said he thinks the ordeal has been blown out of proportion.

“It’s more of media story than anything else,” he said.

Alex Masi, Gators for Obama co-chairman, said he feels Romney should apologize for his remarks.

“I think it’s time Mitt apologized to the American people for his comments for students like me,” he said. “I’m not a victim.”

Contact Alex Catalano at acatalano@alligator.org.

10 comments:

• MummysCurse posted at 8:34 am on Sun, Sep 23, 2012.

MummysCurse Posts: 195

I agree that Romney, Obama, and most other presidential candidates are salesmen/women. But jeez Louise, they need to expect that everything they tell another person will be reported.

As far as Ryan vs. Biden, to me it's a toss-up who'd be worse. I thought Obama should have chosen a different veep for the 2012 race.

• Romulan posted at 6:54 pm on Fri, Sep 21, 2012.

Romulan Posts: 479

By the way... as far as leadership, if either Obama or Romney is president and drops dead from stress or whatever, would you rather have Biden or Ryan as president? I'm definitely looking forward to the vice-presidential debate. I'm sure Ryan will be looking sufficiently clean and articulate for everyone. The question is - will Joe?

• Romulan posted at 6:45 pm on Fri, Sep 21, 2012.

Romulan Posts: 479

I look at it as him being a salesman more than being a leader, in that instance. He was trying to raise funds from rich people, and he was trying to make his 'circumstances' sound as dire as possible. I am also a registered Democrat (who voted for Obama the last time.)

I don't think anybody (including Romney) is saying that it came out sounding good or that he shouldn't have tried to say what he meant differently. I don't think it's as bad as, for instance, Biden saying years ago that Obama was "clean and articulate" (implying that black people may not generally be those things.) That was said very publicly. What Romney said should have been private and would have been if Jimmy Carter's son hadn't made an illegal recording. I might sue him at some point, if I were Romney.

• MummysCurse posted at 9:23 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2012.

MummysCurse Posts: 195

Romulan, I'll grant you that Romney has an impressive educational background.

However, his comments about "the 47 percent" indicate to me that either he doesn't possess much in the way of critical thinking skills, or he was deliberately mischaracterizing the situation, or he took someone else's campaign advice and it bit him on the butt. Any way you slice it, he goofed. He didn't just look unpresidential, he looked cavalier. More to the point, he looked like someone I wouldn't want in any position of power.

You may well ask, "so what?" Here's what -- I'm a registered Democrat who sometimes votes for Republican candidates. If Romney impressed me with his leadership skills I would probably vote for him. But so far, the impression I get is that he's out of his league.

• Romulan posted at 4:40 am on Fri, Sep 21, 2012.

Romulan Posts: 479

I don't care so much what he says as what he does. As far as his brains or stupidity...

>>Romney still wanted to pursue a business path, but his father advised him that a law degree would be valuable to his career.[61][62] Thus he became one of only fifteen students to enroll at the recently created joint Juris Doctor/Master of Business Administration four-year program coordinated between Harvard Law School and Harvard Business School.[63] Fellow students considered him guilelessly optimistic, noting his solid work ethic and buttoned-down demeanor and appearance.[63][64] He readily adapted to the business school's pragmatic, data-driven case study method of teaching, participated in class well, and led a study group whom he pushed to get all A's.[62] He had a different social experience from most of his classmates, since he lived in a Belmont, Massachusetts house with Ann and two children.[48][62] He was non-ideological and did not involve himself in the political or social issues of the day.[48][62] He graduated in 1975 cum laude from the law school, in the top third of that class, and was named a Baker Scholar for graduating in the top five percent of his business school class.[59][63]

• MummysCurse posted at 3:35 pm on Thu, Sep 20, 2012.

MummysCurse Posts: 195

Romulan, I could give a rat's ass about Romney hurting my feelings. If he knew me personally, he'd have plenty of ammo, I'm sure.

No, my problem is that he's fucking stupid. The fact that 47 percent of the U.S. population doesn't pay federal income taxes =/= 47 percent of the population are lazy burdens on the system. I worked minimum-wage jobs through much of high school and college and typically I owed no income tax at year's end because I hadn't made enough money.

• Uncle B posted at 2:12 pm on Thu, Sep 20, 2012.

Uncle B Posts: 259

Here's the problem with Romney's "47%" talk: a large portion of the so-called "47%" are folks who vote Republican! If I were a Republican in the 47%, I'd be pissed.

9 out of the 10 states with the highest percentage of people who pay zero income tax are red states. Some Republicans would like you to believe the "47%" are all democrats, but it's far from the truth.

• Romulan posted at 1:38 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2012.

Romulan Posts: 479

Some Obama supporters got their FEEEEEEEELINGS hurt and require apologies.

The big bad Mittens made these poor helpless babies cry! Aww!

• mudbone posted at 1:05 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2012.

mudbone Posts: 177

stanchaz, are you denying that people receiving Pell Grants, Unemployment, Medicaid, Food Stamps, and/or Disability are moochers, free-loaders, and losers? Because that is 100% accurate.

I do agree with you that there should never be bailouts or corporate subsidies. If we had a free market in the U.S., these things would never happen. Ah, but one can only dream.

• stanchaz posted at 12:52 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2012.

stanchaz Posts: 4

Split?? Yeah..like in was it stupid? or VERY stupid?

Romney and Company smirk ...and smile ...and say to us:
    TO HELL with all those “moochers” and “free-loaders”
    receiving Medicare, or Veterans Benefits, or Pell Grants,
    or Social Security, or Unemployment, or Medicaid, or Food Stamps, or on Disability,
    Romney says TO HELL with all of us that are struggling to stay afloat,
    to those in the Middle-class, and to those hoping to get there.
    Romney says TO HELL with the hungry, the homeless, the helpless,
    and the hopeless, ....to all the biblical “least of these”.
    Romney says TO HELL with the “47% of America” -- the “losers”
    that Romney so easily dismisses and disrespects as “dependents”.
    Romney wines... INCREDIBLY ...that we’re shamelessly sponging off of him,
    and off of all of his poor-poor-poor super-rich friends
    .....all those super-rich folks who want to BUY this ELECTION,
    .....all those super-rich folks who want to BUY this COUNTRY.
    Trickle-down economics? Hey, sure , let them eat cake. It’s all the same. Always has been.
    It’s crumbs for us, and Cadillacs and car elevators, and loopholes & lower taxes for them.
    That is, if they, and the bailed-out banks, and the big corporations pay ANY taxes at all....
    If THEY get a break- they deserve it. But If YOU get a break, it’s a handout. BULL!
    Tell me - who are the REAL “takers”, who are the REAL creators,
    who are the TRUE workers and builders?
    Who are the REAL “victims” here?
    Who gave their LIVES and limbs ...in unpaid and un-needed wars?
    Whose sweat, .....on whose brows, has BUILT this great country?
    Was it the Romney’s of this world ...or us?
    But we still have a voice. It’s called our VOTE.
    Loud and Clear -- Just say NO.
    Say NO to Romney & Company ...and what they stand for.
    This is STILL our country. Our children’s country.
    And we mean to KEEP it that way. Period.