Bikers will compete in the final race of the Summer Mountain Bike Series Wednesday

Bike wheels turn and muscles burn as racers streak around the track, tires rush over sand and riders pump their legs toward victory.

The Summer Mountain Bike Series, a set of six competitions for off-season racing, offers new mountain bike riders a chance to test their skills without the complicated registration and categories of large-scale races.

For the past five weeks, bikers have competed at The Rock Trails, and Wednesday they will hold the final race of the summer. Races start Newberry Road and Northwest 109th Drive, and are held Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.

The series is the brainchild of Bikes and More sales manager Keith Richards and race director Tim Hayes, who wanted to make the races easy and available to anyone who was interested.

“[We wanted] something that was quick and fun, just a couple hours of your time,” said Paul Schmidt, owner of Bikes and More. “You show up, you race, you go home.”

The races start after the heat of the day has begun to subside.

About 80 mountain bikes cluster together at the mouth of the track, each rider braced for the signal. Two groups make up the speed-hungry pack — those who race at a more experienced level and those who are just starting out.

At the race director’s mark, 20 advanced riders rush to take the lead. A few hundred yards up, the trail tapers down to a one-person path. Behind, beginner riders wait for their signal. One minute passes and tire meets track for the rest.

The riders pace themselves for the long haul as they fly over tree roots and sun-soaked sand. Widened spots along the path allow for passing, but much of the race is one rider chasing the back wheel of another.

“During the race, I’m thinking strategy,” said Rick Buning, 29, a UF sports management graduate student. “I’m thinking where to put effort in, when to attack. It’s a training race, so I don’t care much about winning.”

Beginners loop the five-and-a-half mile trail twice, advanced riders three times. Women can compete in a separate race or ride in the general division.

Beginners usually cross the finish line about an hour after starting, while advanced riders roll up 30 minutes later when twilight brings them in.

The crowd cheers for every racer’s victory.

“When the main heat’s coming through, you’re watching guys sprint,” Schmidt said.

The series, though laidback and low-key, is not simply a get-together. Points are earned in competitive racing so riders can document their progression and compete with racers of their skill level, Schmidt said.

There is also the thrill of prizes.

The first five riders of the advanced category win $120 cash each week, according to Keith Richards, shop manager of Bikes and More.

Beginners receive the awards of bragging rights and bike-friendly prizes, provided by a number of sponsors including Anthem Tattoo; Big Lou’s Pizza; Lazer Helmets; Raleigh Bicycles; Ryan Saylor Realty; Bikes and More; Top Gear Bike Shop; Fine, Farkash & Parlapiano and Alcove Bar. The series’ biggest sponsor, Syzygy Graphics, is to thank for fronting the money to get the races off the ground, Richards said.

Tomorrow marks a do-over after Tropical Storm Debby unleashed her fury and closed the track on June 27. More information on the competition can be found at summermountainbikeseries.com. Racers need only a helmet, a mountain bike, $10 and the desire to come out and compete.

“It’s definitely worthwhile for people to come out and watch,” Schmidt said. “Even if you’re not a dirt fan, it’s fun to see 60 spandex-clad people going head-to-head.”