More than 300 guests attended the endangered species awareness day

Animals

Dr. Joe Cicero, a UF research scientist, hands a tarantula to attendee Mark Xby in the booth for the UF Entomology and Nematology Outreach Program during the Endangered Species Awareness Day at the Lubee Bat Conservancy on Saturday. It was the first time Xby had held a tarantula.

Even without echolocation, hundreds found their way to the Lubee Bat Conservancy for an opportunity to learn about endangered species.

The conservancy’s second annual Endangered Species Awareness Day took place Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and attracted more than 300 guests. The event was held to raise awareness of threatened and endangered animals.

Guests of all ages made crafts and purchased merchandise, such as endangered animal face masks, stuffed bats and T-shirts. Guests also created bats from craft supplies and launched them into the air.

Anthony Mason, the head keeper at the conservancy, said he thinks it is important to realize there are endangered species everywhere, not just in Florida.

“People do get a little disconnected from nature and from the outdoors, and the more disconnected we get from that, the harder it is to feel empathy for animals,” Mason said.

Multiple speakers represented conservation organizations for various animals at the event, including the Florida manatee and sea turtles, said Tracy Pope, a program coordinator at the LBC.

Pope said guests could practice preservation at home installing bat and birdhouses and growing native plants. Even creating home compost and recycling paper, cans, bottles and food waste can make a huge impact, she said.

“There are things out there that everyone can do to make a difference,” Pope said. “(With) just a small change in your life, you’re actually helping.”