Govt. to schools: no junk food next year

In the battle between Cookie Monster and Captain Vegetable, Uncle Sam wants the fresh and green.

The government is banning junk food in public schools nationwide starting in the 2014-2015 school year, according to a U.S. Department of Agriculture press release.

The “Smart Snacks in School” nutrition standards will affect vending machine items and snacks that are not a part of the regular school lunch. Maria Eunice, director of Alachua County School Board Food and Nutrition Services, said she thinks Alachua County schools are a step ahead of other counties.

In 2006, the government required schools to develop and apply wellness policies that address nutrition and physical activity.

“We put a pretty strict wellness policy into place,” Eunice said.

Alachua County started making adjustments in 2006 to meet the nutrition requirements. For instance, the school system went from offering whole milk to 2 percent milk, to now offering only 1 percent and fat-free milk, Eunice said. The schools will also offer only whole-grain products.

“What has been very beneficial for our county is how we’ve done it over time,” Eunice said. “It helps students to present it [healthy options] to them slowly.”

She said some counties did not make many adjustments in 2006, so the “Smart Snacks in School” standards will cause them to make drastic changes.

For example, the calorie limit for snack foods — those not included in the meal itself — in the Alachua County wellness policy is 250, and the limit by “Smart Snacks in School” standards is 200, she said.

“In our county, students shouldn’t worry,” she said.

While the price of healthy food has been a challenge for Alachua County schools, losing retail pizza has been a challenge for students, Eunice said. Alachua County got rid of retail pizza last year.

Rachael Marsh, a 16-year-old F. W. Buchholz High School junior, does not agree with the government’s new standards.

“I believe that people should have a choice,” Marsh said. “If people want to eat junk food, they should be able to eat junk food.”

She said the only change she has noticed is the switch from Godfather’s Pizza to a healthier version.

Making changes to school food is a good place to start, she said, but she pointed out that students only eat one or two meals at school a day.

“What are their families supplying them?” she asked. “What are their habits when they get home? I think we have to do a better job as a community educating families.”