A UF cheerleader was arrested Monday for filing a false police report, a misdemeanor, according to the University Police Department.

Lauren Beard, 20, was arrested after police discovered she was the author of several e-mails she had reported to be from someone stalking her, UPD Det. Amanda Spurlin said.

According to the arrest report, Beard came to police on Feb. 18 to report threatening e-mails she received.

"They gave the impression someone could be following her or stalking her," Spurlin said.

Police then began an investigation in which the e-mails were subpoenaed and were found to be sent from Beard's computer.

On March 3, Beard came to police to report another e-mail, and Spurlin told Beard that police knew the e-mails were sent from her personal computer.

Beard then admitted that she had written the e-mails, Spurlin said.

Beard did not return an e-mail Wednesday. Nick Zissimopulos, Beard's attorney, said she has been under a tremendous amount of pressure and stress recently.

"She is taking some time over the next few weeks to address these issues," Zissimopolus said. "She takes responsibility for her actions and apologizes if she has caused anyone any trouble."

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.