As the semester hits peak amount of work, start thinking strategically

Ah, yes. The March and April wave of work has crashed upon our shores once again. We’re entering that part of the semester when suddenly we have so many assignments due, some of them must be in classes we’re not even taking. But never fear.

With the exception of freshman year, when my biggest worry was if I’d ever read both “Antigone” by Sophocles and “Siddhartha” by Hermann Hesse, I have felt this panic-inducing onslaught of papers and exams each semester — and survived.

What’s the secret to making it through while striking a balance of sanity, grade point average and general happiness? I’m still working that out, but it seems to me our best bet is better time management. Each semester, particularly with this most recent bout of senioritis, it has become increasingly difficult to start my assignments a little sooner and study a little earlier.

But I will finish out this last semester strong. So, readers, I have perused the internet far and wide and drawn from my own personal experiences to discover the most effective organization and time-management skills. I present a few here for you in the hopes they help us all:

Make brief morning to-do lists.

If you’re like me, when you’re stressed, it hits you when you’re waking up in the morning just as you’re remembering all the work you left for today instead of doing it yesterday. To-do lists are nothing new in terms of organization and time management, but I’ve found the optimal number of tasks is between three and five per list, written down in the morning before you forget.

Any more than that can feel overwhelming, and further, you can prioritize your jobs by ranking them in order of which you must finish first, second and so on. Don’t just word-vomit on the page; briefly spell out what you need to do in order of when you need to do it.

Intersperse relaxing or stress-relieving activities between your assignments.

Don’t let academics get the best of you. I truly believe we work most effectively and efficiently when we feel our best, and this requires at least a little time dedicated to hobbies and interests we enjoy. Take 15 minutes to stretch and go for a run. Take a 20-minute study break to draw, paint or read a chapter or two of your favorite book. Make some tea, call a friend or just zone out for 10 minutes. Your brain will thank you.

Work toward your strengths and around your weaknesses.

If you know you’re a morning person with a lot of work to do, set your alarm even just 30 or 45 minutes earlier than usual. Brew your coffee, tea or morning drink of choice, make sure your desk is clean and get started with some time to spare. If you’re a night owl, organize your desk or work area earlier in the day and set time limits on when you’d like to start and stop for the evening. This is all to ensure you get a healthy amount of sleep and to avoid the stress of cramming work into time you don’t have.

Remember why you’re here.

What’s the overarching reason you’re studying, anyway? I don’t mean the “I have to take this class to graduate” thing, either. What’s the ultimate career goal or underlying passion? Use that to your advantage. Sometimes the best motivation comes from within.

School can get stressful. We should try not to make it harder than it already is — after all, we should enjoy the ride. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got some homework to start.

Mia Gettenberg is a UF criminology and philosophy senior. Her column focuses on education.