• December 19, 2014

America’s age of objectivity has ended

Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:30 am

Last Monday, Alabama rolled — quite literally — over Notre Dame, crushing the Fighting Irish 42-14, becoming the third team to win three national titles in four seasons. As a UF student, I’d like to say: Congratulations, Alabama. You’ve earned it — like Louisville.

I’d also like to recognize ESPN commentator Brent Musburger for saying what the rest of us would have said (or Tweeted, or Instagrammed), had we seen someone as beautiful as Katherine Webb.

Let me explain.

During the game, a camera caught sight of Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron’s girlfriend, Webb, a former Miss Alabama USA, standing in the crowd, as she watched her boyfriend win Alabama’s second-straight national title. Turning to his colleague Kirk Herbstreit, Musburger jocularly remarked, “You quarterbacks, you get all the good looking women. What a beautiful woman. Wow! Whoa!”

His partner added, “AJ’s doing some things right down in Tuscaloosa.”

Musburger playfully fired back, “So if you’re a youngster at Alabama, start getting the football out, and throw it around with Pop.”

Somewhere, a feminist died. Faster than LeBron James could follow the ravishing 23-year-old on Twitter, people responded to the innocuous banter with juvenile outrage. As the New York Times reported, commentary on the broadcast following the game included words like “creepy,” “awkward,” “uncomfortable” and “heteronormative.”

The article went on to say, “‘It’s extraordinarily inappropriate to focus on an individual’s looks,’ said Sue Carter, a professor of journalism at Michigan State . . . ‘I think there’s a generational issue, but it’s incumbent on people practicing in these eras to keep up and this is not a norm.’”

Not a norm, huh? I wouldn’t be surprised if her doctrinal thesis was titled, “Retrograde Sexual Objectification in Cultural Identity.” But who am I to judge the judgmental?

As our culture embraced tolerance with open, tattooed arms, we witnessed a wave of repressive idiocy and banal demagoguery that trifles our capacity to think narrow-mindedly and objectively. This senseless shift resulted in our society practicing mental gymnastics in order to accommodate the fatuous demands of the open-minded.

The age of objectivity is over. Truth is relative, all beliefs are equal and any effort to explain reality is limited by the progressive, liberal agenda that censures those who espouse truth — even if they’re truthful!

College admissions decisions place more emphasis on achieving diversity than maintaining the students who exemplify superior academic qualifications. Employers are more concerned with your ablility to provide an explanation that elucidates your understanding of empathy than your knowledge of the field. That’s why those who call themselves tolerant lambast people like Musburger. By operating under the rubric of open-mindedness, the terrorants (tolerant + terrorists) tolerate everything — except for what they don’t tolerate, which is everything!

As long as your perception of reality runs in ideological lockstep with these people, you’re fine. Going on a political rant about gun control during Sunday Night Football is fine, as long as you’re not on the sidelines praying to the Judeo-Christian God of the Bible or bantering about beautiful women in the crowd.

We live in a world characterized by a fundamental group who is easily offended by everything, invariably devaluing any instance of being legitimately offended. Acceptance has replaced right and wrong. Words have replaced the notion of sticks and stones.

Last Thursday, my editors at the Alligator pointed out: “There is nothing more admirable than standing up for what you truly believe in, despite what adversity you might face.”

That’s true — unless, of course, you don’t believe in what they truly believe.

Where the hell is this country going?

Erik Skipper is an economics sophomore at UF. His column runs on Wednesdays. You can contact him via [email protected].

4 comments:

• Romulan posted at 4:35 am on Thu, Jan 17, 2013.

Romulan Posts: 491

I can only imagine how Sue Carter, professor of Journalism, must look.
    I just found her...
    http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2012/faculty-conversations-sue-carter/

It's no wonder she doesn't want people focusing on women's appearances. And I can 'see' why she worked mostly in radio. It sounds like she must have a huge grudge against the men in the broadcast industry and probably men in general. Maybe she's mad that it's probably wouldn't be accepted for a lesbian to make such a statement, even if a man can do so and get away with it.

Sports commentators often make smalltalk and banter. It's nothing new. It doesn't have to be appropriate in the mind of some old self-important sanctimonious windbag. Tell her to get over herself. No one cares what she has to say except her poor undergraduate students who have to suffer through her self-aggrandizing lectures as part of the course.

People need to not be controlled by others in this way. Just ignore them, or at the very least don't respond to them, even if you want to. Not responding to them actually carries a great deal of power. You can always ridicule them, since that is usually so easy.

I agree - great article. I am not at my best, if my ramblings seem sub-par for me.

• Trish07 posted at 11:48 pm on Wed, Jan 16, 2013.

Trish07 Posts: 6

Excellent article. It is amazing how one so young is knowledgeable enough to correctly compare today's America with yesteryear. You hit the nail on the head.

• lukebailey posted at 10:31 pm on Wed, Jan 16, 2013.

lukebailey Posts: 1

This is the best article I have ever read in The Alligator, and that includes the ones I've written. It's quality stands out all the more in contrast considering the page of putrid snark from the editors it was printed next to.

Keep up the the good work, Mr. Skipper.

• alligrater posted at 4:45 pm on Wed, Jan 16, 2013.

alligrater Posts: 41

America's age of sensible objectivity has long since passed, I agree whole heartily. What worries me even more, is the plasticity of the new objectivity (reality). Standing up for what you believe despite other's objections is most certainly valiant and a necessity of sanity. The problem is these people keep moving the goal post, keep redefining what it is they believe. They are effected by the temperature or the direction of the wind, their mood, or perhaps the outfit they have on at the moment. They have no sense of what is right or wrong objectively. They are insane.