Dear fellow Gators,

I wrote this column because I would like to apologize for my actions three weeks ago. Disposing of newspapers is not only wrong, but it is unfair to the Student Body and the Alligator staff that works so hard to write them every day. I am sure many of you can recall a time when you thought with your heart and not with your head. This was surely one of those times. My actions were uncalled for and I sincerely apologize for them.

Each election season is undoubtedly the craziest portion of every Student Government member’s semester. When Katie Waldman and I were walking around campus, I let my sense of competition get in the way of the integrity and everything I believe I have always striven for in my time at UF. The Alligator has been an institution at our great university for decades and should receive the respect it deserves. I sincerely apologize to the members and staff of the Alligator, the university students and the members of SG.

I am sure many of you have questioned the integrity of SG during this past election, but I truly hope you will reconsider. During my two years of service in SG at UF, I worked as hard as I possibly could to benefit each and every student on our campus. I know, as I move forward after SG, that the organization is in great hands. Newly elected Senate President Aundre Price and Senate President pro tempore Logan Harrison are dedicated to making the student experience better at our university and will do whatever they can to ensure that doesn’t change.

I realize that I have hurt people in both parties with my actions and denial of these actions — a lot of people who put a lot of trust and faith in me over the years. I truly apologize for the harm I have caused.

Everyone makes mistakes, whether it be a poor grade on exam by not studying, running a red light or just making a bad decision during an election. But don’t lose your faith in that individual or that organization. SG has been helping students for more than 100 years, and I know that is exactly what they will continue to do. I hope everyone had an awesome and safe Spring Break, and I wish you the best of luck on the rest of your semesters.

Take care, and go Gators!

Jason Tiemeier, finance junior, former Student Senate president pro tempore