• November 22, 2014

Morrissey defends vegetarian stereotype

Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:15 am

On Tuesday night, the bearded, bandana-wearing, camo-clad cast of A&E’s runaway hit show “Duck Dynasty” walked onto the set of “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” and sat across from the host. After some calculated back-and-forth about the Robertson family’s newfound fame, Kimmel asked the question audiences were waiting to hear.

Days earlier, Morrissey, who was slated to appear on Tuesday night’s show, threatened to cancel unless the “Duck Dynasty” cast’s interview was changed to another night. Kimmel producers refused, and a different band replaced Morrissey.

“As far as my reputation is concerned,” Morrissey said in a statement, “I can’t take the risk of being on a show alongside people who, in effect, amount to animal serial killers.”

Kimmel asked the Robertson family patriarchs what they thought of the sudden public cancellation.

“When somebody told me about this,” said the famously loopy Uncle Si, “I was like, ‘Oh, you mean the lead singer of The Doors?’ They said, ‘No, you idiot!’”

“We don’t hold it against him at all,” Phil said.

The other men agreed and, in so many words, said they don’t give a flip about food politics.

The Robertson men, whose cartoonish and backwoods lifestyle is A&E’s bread and butter, were perfectly gracious about Morrissey’s diva antics. Morrissey’s behavior isn’t surprising — his back-and-forth with the Staples Center regarding his request for the venue to be meat-free has served as a free publicity platform for his 2013 tour.

I hate to speak on behalf of vegetarians, but does anyone actually consider Morrissey an animal rights icon?

Does anyone find this behavior noble or reactionary?

No? Me neither.

Although Morrissey’s attitude was one of a child throwing a tantrum, the Robertsons’ reaction was surprisingly poised.

Furthermore, Morrissey’s holier-than-thou response seems to be less of an animal-rights battle and more of an attention-seeking low blow.

To call Morrissey’s “statement” animal rights activism would be grossly exaggerating what it actually was: a press move and a petty pride issue.

“Duck Dynasty,” while admittedly hilarious and honest, is also hokey in a “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” way. Although “Duck Dynasty” may not be quite as polarizing as “Honey Boo Boo,” its image is one of self-professed “rednecks” living off the land in backwoods Louisiana.

The patriarch of the group and founder of the duck-call-making company, Phil, makes fun of his sons for converting to “yuppism.” Although the family is quite wealthy — Willie Robertson’s net worth is upward of $10 million, according to www.therichest.org — it maintains an unwashed, uncouth, uncultured look for the sake of entertainment.

Is Morrissey really losing sleep at night because one family in Louisiana produces duck calls and hunts wild turkey?

Is he really eager to provide his concertgoers with a meat-free venue? Probably not. After all, the intentions of anyone with such an active involvement with PETA, a total farce of an organization, are questionable.

In 2012, PETA euthanized about 94 percent of cats and about 82 percent of dogs taken into its headquarters in Virginia, according to a Huffington Post article.

They run ad campaigns with similar sexual objectification strategies as www.GoDaddy.com and Carl’s Jr., placing female celebrities in submissive positions, like the controversial photo of Pamela Anderson posing in a bikini with parts of her body labeled “breasts,” “rump” and “round.”

Morrissey is not taking a stand against animal abuse.

He’s not doing anything to prevent hunting or meat consumption. Rather, he handed publicity to the Robertsons and is only causing the Staples Center to be meat-free for one night. He is nothing but a PETA pawn.

Chloe Finch is a journalism sophomore at UF. Her column usually runs on Thursdays. You can contact her via opinions@alligator.org.

5 comments:

• sassyjovon posted at 12:38 am on Wed, Feb 26, 2014.

sassyjovon Posts: 1

I think this article is kind of BS. What this artist did is very admirable. As a vegetarian myself I completely understand the motivation behind this stand. Many other vegan and vegetarian activists have done similar things. There was a large concert to be held at Seaworld this spring and several big-name artists like Alanis Morissette have dropped out after the blackfish controversy. I don't see how this is any different. I can guarantee you the author of this article is neither vegan or vegetarian and speaking out so ignorantly is just as bad as the behaviors she is condemning. Please somebody reply back, I would love to hear opposing viewpoints.

• Romulan posted at 4:27 am on Sat, Mar 2, 2013.

Romulan Posts: 479

People hunting wild birds is a lot less cruel than people raising birds/poultry in chicken coops that are way too overcrowded and dirty. Supposedly those birds have their beaks melted shut so they starve to death instead of being humanely slaughtered.

Morris-sissy should have used the forum as an opportunity to discuss the 'real' horrors of the world of poultry production in contrast to hunters who probably barely make a dent in the natural population of birds. Instead, Morris-sissy could only babble about his own reputation.

• UnrustledJimmies posted at 2:22 am on Sat, Mar 2, 2013.

UnrustledJimmies Posts: 8

Wow, alright, the Alligator has the worst comment system ever. Regardless...

Dan Anders,

Despite the fact that you obviously don't possess an elementary level of how to utilize punctuation in regards to quotes, your "argument" is still more amateur in nature than anything I would ever find when googling "College Coeds." Are you honestly trying to support or defend a man who has said that the Chinese are a sub-species, based solely on their consumption of foodstuffs that are inherently foreign to the American palate? Regardless of what your (most likely insufficiently fleshed out) motives are in regards to this issue, you're obviously quite an unsatisfied individual if you have to go so far as to criticize an article of this nature just to prove how much of an ignoramus you are.

Sincerely,
    Someone who knows enough about organic systems to substitute vodka for water in certain baking recipes to reduce the production of gluten

• UnrustledJimmies posted at 2:06 am on Sat, Mar 2, 2013.

UnrustledJimmies Posts: 8

Dear Dan Anders,
    Despite the fact that I'm rather confused over your inability to properly utilize proper punctuation in your quotation of the article,

• Dan Anders posted at 6:38 pm on Thu, Feb 28, 2013.

Dan Anders Posts: 1

"Chloe Finch is a journalism sophomore "

That pretty well sums up the value and insights in this "article".