Editorial: The Great American Stupid — Donald Trump makes us sick

For the duration of this semester, we in editorial have intentionally sidestepped any discussion of Donald Trump’s presidential campaign. We’d say it’s the journalistic equivalent of ignoring the elephant in the room, but it’s been more akin to trying to cover your eyes and ears while the girl from "The Exorcist" vomits all over you and your surroundings, punctuating her invasive illness with proud recitals of racist rhetoric, stomach-churning stupidity and blatant pandering.

But there’s only so much vomit one can stomach before they too have to throw up. Hopefully in this strained metaphor, our vomit represents that of a higher grade than Trump’s.

In August, long-time political author Matt Taibbi wrote a piece for "Rolling Stone" called "Donald Trump Just Stopped Being Funny." In it, Taibbi wrote that Trump’s campaign, no matter the outcome, "threatens to unleash the Great American Stupid." Three months later, this is no longer a threat nor a hypothetical: The Great American Stupid has firmly metastasized, and, like the cancer it is, makes our country sick, demented and difficult to look at.

The American people stuck by Trump when he first emerged as a racist fear-monger. The American people stuck by Trump as he proudly wore his misogyny on his sleeve. Perhaps most distressing of all, the American people have stuck by him after his painfully unfunny SNL appearance. And as Trump’s rhetoric descends into the realms of fascism and violence, vast swathes of the American populace will most likely stick by that as well.

Talks of a "registry" for Muslims. The fabrication of a story about Muslims cheering in the streets of New Jersey on 9/11. A disturbing glee and eagerness for the prospect of waterboarding human beings. Openly advocating for supporters to rough up a dissenting voice: THIS is what fascism in America looks like. Unlike in Europe, where the right-wing parties proudly display their oppressive and hateful platforms, here it is dressed up in a quintessentially American guise: that of the proud, boastful white male who did it all by himself and just wants to bring "his" country back.

A considerable portion of the Americans who hate "Barack Hussein Obummer" so much are the same people who would like to see Donald Trump become their next Commander in Chief. These are the individuals who decry having "too much gubment" in their lives and openly wonder, "Where my country gone?!" You know what? Elect him. Please. Establish a registry for Muslim Americans, cut taxes for the wealthy and brutalize those that look or speak differently from you, and see what it is to truly live in a repressive state. Of course, y’all will be the benefactors — if you consider being even more poor than you are now a benefit — of such a state, so perhaps this editorial has only served to energize your cause, rather than draw scorn upon it.

Fuck Donald Trump, and shame on his supporters. Shame on those who speak of American values in the highest regard but detest those different from them. Shame on you, you who worship and venerate a man who possesses nothing but utter contempt and condescension for you and your way of life. Where my country gone indeed.