LB Finley arrested, facing third-degree felony charges for resisting arrest

Florida sophomore linebacker Dee Finley was arrested Monday afternoon and charged with driving with a suspended license and resisting a University Police Department officer with violence. The latter is a third-degree felony.

Officer William Sasser pulled Finley over at 1:49 p.m. after Finley drove his scooter around a barricade on Stadium Road. Sasser asked for his license and registration, but Finley told the officer he was late and did not want to give him the information, according to the arrest report.

When Sasser told Finley he could not leave, Finley started his scooter and tried to take off, but Sasser grabbed his left wrist. Finley then snatched his hand away and "squared" to Sasser while still straddling his scooter, according to the report.

Sasser proceeded to whip out his department-issued Taser and told Finley to put his hands behind his back. Finley obliged.

A university spokesman did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Finley cannot post bail until appearing before a judge at 9 a.m. Tuesday.

Finley's license is suspended in Alabama and Florida for multiple failures to pay and a failure to appear in court, according to the report. He was cited on March 16 for driving without a valid license, and a second pre-trial arraignment on that case is set for next Monday.

In Alachua County, Finley has received four charges for driving with a suspended license in less than three years. He received a citation for unknowingly operating a vehicle while his driver's license was suspended on Dec. 17, 2009, and on June 21, 2010.

Attorney Huntley Johnson has represented Finley for his three previous offenses.

Contact Tyler Jett at tjett@alligator.org.