<p>Ryan Larson stands at the plate during No. 20 Florida's 9-7 loss against Maryland on Feb. 15.</p>

Ryan Larson stands at the plate during No. 20 Florida's 9-7 loss against Maryland on Feb. 15.

It took extra innings, five pitchers and the Gators’ fourth outfielder Ryan Larson to scratch out a series-finale win against the Missouri Tigers.

For nine innings, it appeared the brooms UF fans brought to McKethan Stadium would only provide much-needed shade. Florida hit into four double plays. It fell behind two runs in the sixth inning. All was not lost though.

In typical Sunday college baseball fashion, the No. 6 Gators (30-15, 15-6 Southeastern Conference) held off the Tigers (19-24, 6-15 SEC) for an extra-inning 6-5 victory to complete the series sweep. Larson, a freshman, drove in Zack Powers on a two-out single up the middle. The Gators immediately rushed out of the dugout and mobbed the freshman in between first and second base.

The game dragged on at McKethan Stadium. It was frustrating. Yet after three-and-a-half hours, it was satisfying, especially for Larson who entered the game in the seventh inning as part of a double switch.

“I was not thinking that. I’m just rooting the guys on,” Larson laughed when asked if he thought he’d be the one to get the winning hit. “That did not cross my mind.”

Florida had chances on Sunday. Harrison Bader slapped the dugout rail twice after the Gators’ wasted an opportunity in the sixth inning. UF coach Kevin O’Sullivan pinch-hit junior Mike Farhman for birthday boy Buddy Reed with one out, a tie score and the bases loaded.

A series sweep hung in the balance. Fahrman grounded out to second base for a tailor-made double play and a frustrating end to an inning that started with the Gators down two runs. UF evened the game at five on RBI singles by Bader and Braden Mattson.

Larson took over for Reed in left field to start the seventh. Taylor Gushue rolled over on a changeup an inning later for another inning-ending double play. Florida hit into nine twin killings during the series.

“They brought the infield in, and we felt good about [Fahrman] getting a sac fly. You kind of roll the dice. They’re no dummies. They played the infield back after I went to Fahrman. I figured they would probably do that, but we’re just trying to get a sac fly there,” O’Sullivan said. “We’ve done a good job of that this year. It’s just a roll of the dice and it didn’t quite work out.”

Florida found itself in a compromising position due to inconsistent pitching. Luckily for UF, Aaron Rhodes tossed a complete-game shutout in Game 2, giving coach Kevin O’Sullivan an arsenal of arms in his bullpen. He used five pitchers with left-hander Bobby Poyner pitching the final four innings to earn the win. Poyner settled down the Gators despite two fielding errors and squandered opportunities at the plate before he came in.

Poyner ironically escaped a 10th inning jam with runners on first and second with a double play started by second baseman Casey Turgeon. The sharp liner by Jake Ring put a scare into Florida’s top pitcher from Sunday afternoon.

“I said, ‘Oh boy,’ and then I turned around. Casey made a heck of a play,” Poyner said. That’s all I can ask for.”

Florida took a 2-0 lead in the first on a two-run double by Gushue down the right-field line. The early cushion for starter Danny Young didn’t last long with the Tigers plating three in the top half of the second by taking advantage of spotty command.

A single by John Sternagel evened the score at three before Florida’s two RBI singles in the sixth. UF came back twice on Sunday to move its lead to two games in the SEC East with nine conference games left. The pitching lacked at times.

Shortstop Richie Martin and Sternagel made errors, with two coming from Martin. The hitting missed out on chances to end the game sooner until Larson had his moment and a sweet moment at that with Larson no longer getting consistent playing time and the Gators surpassing their win total from a year ago.

“Most teams are going to be fighting the last weekend to get to 15 (SEC wins). They’ve accomplished a lot,” O’Sullivan said. “That was kind of our goal this morning to make sure they’re motivated that these are all important when we’re holding serve.”

Follow Adam Pincus on Twitter at @adamDpincus