<p>Alex Murphy drives into the paint during Florida's loss to Connecticut in the O'Connell Center.</p>

Alex Murphy drives into the paint during Florida's loss to Connecticut in the O'Connell Center.

Florida’s first game of the new year was no different from the Gators’ performance in the previous year.

The UConn Huskies (7-5) defeated the Florida (7-6) 63-59 in Gainesville on Saturday.

In line with a growing trend for Florida, the Gators failed to maintain their strong performance, coming out of halftime with a six-point lead. After holding the lead steady for the first 35 minutes of the game in the O’Connell Center, the Gators couldn’t hold on any longer.

The Huskies managed their first lead of the day 54-53 off a three-point shot from UConn guard Rodney Purvis with 5:25 left to play. A free throw from Jacob Kurtz tied things up moments later but Purvis responded with another 3-point shot, regaining the lead for good this time.

“There is a competitive disadvantage were at,” Donovan said in a post-game radio interview. “When it gets really hard in a competitive fight, we are unable to sustain a level of discipline and focus in terms of doing our jobs. … We go through those lulls and it gets really really hard.”

The Gators put up 37 points in the first half but could only scrape together 22 in the second half, while UConn managed a consisted 31 in the first and 32 in the second half.

There was no redemption for Florida in the first meeting between the two teams since UConn defeated Florida at the buzzer in the Final Four in Arlington, Texas. The Huskies extended to a 3-1 winning record overall against the Gators. Florida hasn’t defeated UConn since 1994.

“We’re not deserving of winning, in my opinion as a coach,” Donovan said. “We don’t fight and compete like I’d like to see us do.”

In his third game as a Gator, Florida’s fate rested on Alex Murphy’s shoulder.

With UConn leading 57-56 with 38 seconds left, the redshirt forward missed both free throws.

Florida can hang this loss on a poor free throw performance.

Both the Gators and Huskies took 20 free throws each but UConn completed 17 compared to Florida’s eight for 40 percent compared to UConn’s 85 percent completion from the charity stripe.

Four of Florida’s 12 free throw misses were during the Gators’ comeback attempt in the final minute of Saturday’s game.

Five of Florida’s eight completed free throws came from forward Dorian Finney-Smith.

The redshirt junior also led both teams with 19 points in 30 minutes of action.

Finney-Smith, who opened Saturday’s game with a deep three-point shot, was Florida’s only player to score above 10 points. He went on to lead the Gators with five rebounds.

“I thought Dorian played a very very solid game,” Donovan said. “He was in there battling and competing.”

Donovan said he’s noticed a competitive character issue on the court in crucial situations. He added that this year’s team is the polar opposite of his winning 2013-2014 team in terms of consistent commitment and effort.

“Being in these moments like this it’s almost too big for them in a lot of ways right now,” Donovan said.

A radio broadcast contributed to this report.

Follow Erica A. Hernandez on Twitter @EricaAlyssa