• December 19, 2014

Moss, McIntyre to leave Gators women’s basketball team

Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:28 am | Updated: 3:13 am, Tue Sep 3, 2013.

One step forward, two steps back — that has been the pattern of growth for the Florida women’s basketball program during coach Amanda Butler’s six-year tenure.

That trend has continued this offseason.

Earlier this month, Chandler Cooper confirmed her intention to transfer from Florida to Lipscomb University. Cooper explained the decision as an opportunity to be closer to home — she is from Clarksville, Tenn. — while also playing basketball in a smaller environment.

However, Cooper cited several other factors that weighed into her decision, including a level of dissension within the program, especially among some of the team’s younger players and the coaching staff.

Unsurprisingly, Cooper has been joined by two members of last season’s team who will not be returning to play basketball at Florida next season.

Both Sydney Moss and Vicky McIntyre confirmed their decisions to leave the Gators basketball program on Tuesday. Neither stated a specific reason or transfer destination.

“Sydney wants to be close to her mom and home. We wish her, Chandler and Vicky the best," coach Amanda Butler said.

McIntyre, a 6-foot-7 center, would have been a senior in 2013-14. She played just one season at UF after transferring from Oklahoma State, where she spent her first two collegiate seasons.

In 2011, two coaches on staff at Oklahoma State were killed in a plane crash while traveling on a recruiting trip. After the season, McIntyre chose to look for a fresh start and ended up at Florida, where she averaged 4.8 points and 3.8 rebounds while playing in 29 games, including three starts. 

However, McIntyre did not play in any of Florida’s postseason games. Neither she nor Butler offered any reasoning for her absence at the time, and her decision to leave the program was somewhat expected.

Moss figures to be the biggest loss of the offseason.

She finished last season second on the team in scoring, averaging 11.8 points per game, but her greatest strength is the ability to fill up a box score. Often the team’s best offensive threat, she managed to add 6.8 rebounds and 3.9 assists per contest during the season.

While Moss made an immediate impact on the team — she flirted with a triple-double in her first collegiate game — her game improved dramatically during Florida’s run to the Final Four of the WNIT. In five games, the freshman led UF in scoring (19.6 points per game), rebounding (9.0 rebounds per game), assists (4.2 per game) and field-goal percentage (57.1 percent).

Moss was named to the 2013 All-SEC Freshman Team and the 2013 Postseason WNIT All-Tournament Team for her performance.

The three departures come in stark contrast to the direction the program was seemingly headed.

After a disappointing regular season in 2012-13, Florida’s run in the WNIT offered hope heading into next season. Moss projected to continue developing into an All-SEC caliber player. She would have been joined by transfers Cassie Peoples and Antoinette Bannister — each a highly rated prospect coming out of high school — as well as freshman Ronni Williams, a McDonald’s High School All-American who could become Florida’s most talented player ever.

Those four, along with the expected return of Viktorija Dimaite, who has missed the past two seasons due to injury, and losing only one player to graduation, Jennifer George, had expectations surrounding the program as high as they have been in some time.

Contact Phil Heilman at [email protected].

3 comments:

• GHSCanes posted at 4:01 pm on Sun, Jun 23, 2013.

GHSCanes Posts: 2

Kids will be kids, they change their minds.
    Transferring is not un-usual in WBB.
    So why is Amanda restricting Moss?
    "We wish her... the best" ? yea, right

• WBBFan posted at 4:51 pm on Thu, Jun 20, 2013.

WBBFan Posts: 9

Why is it that when a player(s) transfers from the UF WBB program all the "Chicken Littles" come out wanting Butler fired? People, the sky is not falling down! Next year’s team is still very good and very talented. Yes, Moss would have made this team that much better but player transfers happen. Don’t be naïve - just look at UConn they lost the likes of Elena Delle Donne, Samarie Walker, and Michala Johnson. Okay, so UConn may not be the best example - let’s take a look within the SEC – let’s check out the Tenn Vols. They lost Alyssia Brewer, a former Parade All-American and Jasmine Phillips. South Carolina lost Kayla Brewer, Jordan Jones (yes, she ended up at UF) and Kelsey Bone. The lists goes on and on. Oh, btw Florida also picked up 2 talented transfers last year – one from Texas the other from UNC. Why? Because player transfers are a part of the game. Whenever a 17 year old makes the decision to go hundreds of miles away from their family and support system to play the game they love - the reality of the day to day grind of collegiate athletics hits them hard and now this distance becomes a huge issue. So, please, back off with the fire Butler rhetoric over transfers and just come out and support the team and Coach Butler. Go Gators!

• 1dering posted at 6:59 pm on Wed, Jun 19, 2013.

1dering Posts: 1

How many more transfers will it take before Butler gets fired and we get a coach who knows how to keep talent? Butler's done such a poor job she's starting to make Peck look good.