Column: Florida's win vs. Tennessee shows that the Gators don't need Callaway

<p><span>Antonio Callaway and Tyrie Cleveland sit on the sidelines during Florida's 24-10 win against Georgia on Oct. 29, 2016, at EverBank Field.</span></p>

Antonio Callaway and Tyrie Cleveland sit on the sidelines during Florida's 24-10 win against Georgia on Oct. 29, 2016, at EverBank Field.

Antonio Callaway should not be on the Florida football team.

No fancy lead-in, no crazy anecdote to start this one off. Just a firm statement.

After Florida’s exhilarating 26-20 win over the Tennessee Volunteers, UF’s final justification for keeping him on the team flies out the window.

In his 2015 season as a freshman, Callaway entered Ben Hill Griffin Stadium and almost immediately became a focal point in the offense. He burst into stardom as one of coach Jim McElwain’s first weapons.

And rightfully so. He broke the Florida true freshman receiving record and forced his way into other SEC record books with his blend of speed and playmaking.

In his first year, he was one of just six SEC freshmen to record three 100-yard receiving games since 2006. His game-winning 63-yard touchdown against the Vols in 2015 will go down as one of UF’s finest moments.

But the problems that have risen around him are beyond disturbing.

First and foremost was the sexual assault controversy that began in January of 2016, right after Callaway’s freshman campaign. Both he and former UF quarterback Treon Harris were handed suspensions and banned from campus for nearly six months.

Although the charges were cleared, it was revealed that the man overseeing the Title IX case was a former Gator athlete and donated money into both the football and basketball programs.

For me, that raises a neon red flag. While no one proved that Callaway committed that heinous act, you would think he’d be in hot water with any more slippages being the final straw.

Nope. A few months later, there was a marijuana citation. That wouldn’t be so bad if it were his first offense, but it wasn’t.

Callaway walked into his junior year as a veteran — someone younger receivers could look to for guidance.

Instead, along with other veterans and youngsters alike, he gets another suspension for an allegation regarding misusing school funds.

This is a player that is supposed to represent a top-flight SEC program. Not only that, but a school now ranked nationally as a top-10 public university, according to U.S. News and World Report.

The only reasoning for him remaining on the team is purely his talent on the field. And now the Gators proved they can get by without that.

Sophomore Tyrie Cleveland showed flashes of greatness last year and has looked solid in a prominent role. Freshman Kadarius Toney and sophomore Josh Hammond have provided solid outings and are expected to get better with more reps.

Even from a purely football perspective, I believe that Callaway has become more of a luxury than a true need.

But it should go beyond that.

The Gators don’t need Antonio Callaway back anymore. And they shouldn’t want him, either.

Skyler Lebron is a sports writer. Look out for his next column by following him on Twitter @SkylerLebron. You can contact him by email at slebron@alligator.org.