Wide receiver Antonio Callaway is UF’s best playmaker since Percy Harvin

<p>UF wide receiver Antonio Callaway returns a punt during Florida&#x27;s 28-27 win against Tennessee on Sept. 26, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Callaway&#x27;s touchdown run against UT is known as one of Mick Hubert&#x27;s greatest calls.</p>

UF wide receiver Antonio Callaway returns a punt during Florida's 28-27 win against Tennessee on Sept. 26, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Callaway's touchdown run against UT is known as one of Mick Hubert's greatest calls.

Florida might’ve lost against LSU on Saturday, but one thing became clear after the defeat.

Antonio Callaway is the best playmaker in a Florida uniform since Percy Harvin and is on his way to becoming the best true freshman wideout in program history.

Harvin was a dynamic playmaker for the Gators from 2006-08. His pure speed made him a threat every time he touched the ball because of his explosiveness and home run ability to score.

Callaway has already proven he has those same abilities in his young college career. While Harvin was used as a running back at times in former UF coach Urban Meyer’s offense, Callaway was recruited to be a playmaking wide receiver. But the Miami native brings a unique element to the Gators that Harvin did not: the ability to return punts.

Harvin didn’t start returning punts until he entered the National Football League. Callaway, however, has thrived since being inserted into the role in Florida’s second game against East Carolina, when Vernon Hargreaves III missed the game because of a leg injury.

The 5-foot-11 wide receiver is 15th in the country in punt returns, averaging 14.8 yards on 12 returns.

He knifes through the opposition, much like coach Jim McElwain slashes off the crust of Callaway's peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Callaway returned a punt 72 yards for a touchdown against the Tigers to tie the game at 28-28 in the third quarter.

His return was a thing of beauty, and he etched his name in Florida’s history books by becoming the first true freshman to return a punt for a touchdown in Southeastern Conference play in the program’s history, and the first true freshman to return a punt in any game since Brandon James did so back in 2006.

But Callaway was recruited to be a wideout, and he’s shining in that role.

He’s made a couple of highlight reel one-handed catches, coming in at number three on SportsCenter’s Top 10 after making a one-handed juggling catch along the sidelines in Death Valley.

It’s the second time this year Callaway has turned heads with a one-handed snag, with the other coming against Kentucky on Sept. 19.

However, Callaway isn’t just limited to highlight reel catches as a receiver.

He’s mature beyond his years as a route-runner, and he’s learning how to create separation between himself and opposing defensive backs.

Wide receivers coach Kerry Dixon II said Callaway has been receptive to the idea of coming in and putting in extra work.

"He actually comes in on his own to watch film and learn techniques, how to run routes and you’re starting to see that start to show up," Dixon said. "I’m really excited about him and his future."

Callaway’s hard work is paying off.

Entering this season, UF’s program had only one true freshman wide receiver with at least 100 receiving yards in game.

Reidel Anthony accomplished the feat twice in 1994 and Callaway has already matched his mark with his 112-yard breakout performance against Tennessee — which earned him SEC Freshman of the Week honors — and his 100-yard game against LSU.

The Gators will have at least six more games this season — five regular season games and a bowl game — which means Callaway will have ample time to become the first Florida wideout to log three 100-yard receiving games as a true freshman.

And there’s no reason he shouldn’t.

McElwain has said on numerous occasions that he’s glad No. 81 is a Gator.

And he should be glad. Callaway has been McElwain’s best recruit from the 2015 class and his potential is limitless.

Callaway is a game-changer.

Simple as that.

He's something UF’s offense hasn’t had in years.

As Callaway continues to improve, he’ll have a chance to go down as one of the great ones in Florida’s history.

Follow Luis Torres on Twitter @LFTorresIII

UF wide receiver Antonio Callaway returns a punt during Florida's 28-27 win against Tennessee on Sept. 26, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.