<p>UF wide receiver Antonio Callaway is tackled by FAU punter Dalton Schomp during a punt return in Florida's 20-14 overtime win against Florida Atlantic on Nov. 21, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

UF wide receiver Antonio Callaway is tackled by FAU punter Dalton Schomp during a punt return in Florida's 20-14 overtime win against Florida Atlantic on Nov. 21, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

While the rest of his team’s energy level was comparable to that of dead seafood, as coach Jim McElwain put it, wide receiver Antonio Callaway was quite alive on Saturday.

Against Florida Atlantic, the freshman continued his season of big plays, returning a punt for 52 yards in the second quarter and connecting with quarterback Treon Harris on a 53-yard touchdown reception in the third quarter.

Although the punt return resulted in no points thanks to a missed 33-yard field goal by Austin Hardin, the touchdown catch proved pivotal in a game in which every point was needed just to send the contest into overtime.

It’s nothing new for the freshman, who seemingly steps up with a gashing catch or return whenever a spark is needed.

"He’s a true legitimate SEC ball player," McElwain said. "He loves to play the game and it’s contagious out there.

"He energizes people, man. The guy smiles. It’s awesome. He’s got life. He’s got energy and that’s what we need to get."

Callaway now has 10 plays of 30 yards or more between receptions and punt returns on the season and five such plays of 50 yards or more — a staggering number for someone in his first year playing college football.

Nevertheless, his teammates still feel like he doesn’t always get the credit he deserves.

"I feel like people sleep on him a lot," defensive back Jalen Tabor said. "I feel like he’s the best freshman receiver in the country just because he does so much.

"He can play inside, outside, you can go deep or screen game, and he’s even in the return game. I feel like he’s the best all around football player as a freshman."

If not, he’s close.

Callaway ranks third in the Southeastern Conference in punt return yards with 343 and is tops among freshmen.

In receiving, he’s 16th in the conference with 541 yards and third among freshmen, behind Texas A&M’s Christian Kirk (871) and Alabama’s Calvin Ridley (701).

But both Kirk and Ridley have more than 60 receptions each on the season, while Callaway has just 27.

Still, those 27 catches have been enough to give Callaway the second-most receiving yards in a season by a true freshman in school history, passing Jacquez Green (531) on Saturday.

The freshman now trails Reidel Anthony (615) by just 74 yards for the school record and will have at least three games to do so.

Given that he’s averaging nearly 50 yards a game, the mark is well within reach.

But for the teammates who see him in practice every day, breaking records isn’t all that surprising.

"He’s a big time receiver," tight end Jake McGee said. "He’s showing it this year. He’ll continue to show it.

"It’s really not that surprising if you’re around him each day, what he’s doing."

Follow Graham Hack on Twitter @graham_hack24