<p>UF defensive end Jordan Sherit and linebacker Antonio Morrison record a tackle during Florida's 24-14 win against South Carolina on Nov. 14, 2015, at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina.</p>

UF defensive end Jordan Sherit and linebacker Antonio Morrison record a tackle during Florida's 24-14 win against South Carolina on Nov. 14, 2015, at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina.

Antonio Morrison came to UF in 2012 with a group of players to look up to.

Dominique Easley. Sharrif Floyd. Jon Bostic. The list keeps going.

In total, five players from that 2012 defense were selected in either the first or second round of the NFL Draft over the past three years.

Ten players from that defense are on an NFL roster.

But while the talent-level was high on defense that year — the team’s 11-2 record that season was viewed as Will Muschamp’s lone success story during his four years in Gainesville — Morrison said this year’s group is better.

"Guys just love each other a lot more on this defense," Morrison said. "Not saying that defense wasn’t great because they’re hand in hand, but it’s just, I mean, it’s hard to compare. Two great defenses."

Through 10 games, the Gators defense has once again been its rock and has shown similarities to the 2012 squad. Here is a breakdown of how the two groups compare.

Yards allowed:

On paper, the 2015 and 2012 teams are almost identical. This year’s Florida defense — led by Morrison and linebacker Jarrad Davis, a dynamic defensive line, and a star-studded secondary — ranks fifth in total defense (280 yards/game) and 10th in both rushing (105.1/game) and passing defense (174.9/game).

The 2012 team finished fifth in total defense, surrendering on average 286.7 yards per game, but that group’s run defense reigned supreme.

The Gators of three years ago finished fourth in rushing defense, giving up a mere 94.54 yards per game. The passing defense was slightly more lax, with UF giving up 192.2 yards through the air, the 16th-best mark in the country.

Scoring:

Both teams gave up 14.5 points per game and each had its shining moments.

The 2012 defense posted a pair of shutouts against Kentucky and Jacksonville State and gave up no more than 20 points in conference play.

This year’s defense has already held four opponents — all in the Southeastern Conference — to less than 10 points this year.

Turnovers:

In 10 games, the 2015 Florida defense has already forced 21 turnovers (2.1/game), a mark that’s tied for 13th nationally but trails that of the 2012 team (30 total turnovers, 2.4/game).

And both teams relied on multiple playmakers to take the ball away.

Through 10 games, the 2015 team already has six players with multiple turnovers, with Vernon Hargreaves leading the pack with four interceptions.

The 2012 team had eight defenders with multiple turnovers, highlighted by Matt Elam’s four interceptions.

Defensive line play:

Florida’s defensive line has been virtually unstoppable this season. The Gators already have 31 sacks and 76 tackles for loss in 10 games this year, with Alex McCalister and Jonathan Bullard leading the way with a combined 11 sacks and 23 tackles for loss.

The 2012 team, even with big-name defensive linemen like Floyd and Easley swarming opposing offenses, managed just 30 sacks and 88 tackles behind the line of scrimmage in its 13-game season.

Misc.:

The 2015 defense is holding opponents to a 33.7-percent conversion rate on third and fourth down. The 2012 team did slightly better, only allowing opponents to convert 32.5 percent.

So far this season, the Gators have only allowed opponents to score touchdowns on 45.5 percent of their red zone drives. When the 2012 defense was backed up inside its 20, opponents scored touchdowns 46.2 percent of the time.

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126