Notebook: Gators ready to enter season without naming starting quarterback

<p>Coach Jim McElwain calls out a play during Spring practice.</p>

Coach Jim McElwain calls out a play during Spring practice.

Florida hasn’t named a starting quarterback for the season opener against New Mexico State, and coach Jim McElwain seemingly couldn’t care less.

Although neither Will Grier nor Treon Harris has distinguished himself as the clear-cut starter, McElwain has frequently reiterated he’s confident in either quarterback leading the team.

The question may no longer be who will start for the Gators on Sept. 5 but who will start the first drive.

McElwain said it’s highly likely the team plays both Grier and Harris at quarterback during the first couple games of the season.

"We’ll be OK if we go into (the season opener) and kind of play and go from there and see who plays under the lights the best," McElwain said Friday.

"Those two guys are progressing and you know, no clear separation yet. They’re competing, they’re working and getting an opportunity to work with some different units."

Grier and Harris alternated units during Friday’s scrimmage and McElwain said both quarterbacks moved the first-team offense well.

McElwain has a tough decision on his hands that likely won’t be decided until after the season opens.

Tabor seeing differences: Sophomore cornerback Jalen Tabor said whoever the Gators end up starting at quarterback will undoubtedly have the full support of the team.

"I mean if it takes the opener. …whatever decisions Coach Mac makes, that’s what the team is going to ride with," Tabor said. "We're gonna stand behind whoever he stands behind and chooses to make quarterback."

Although he hasn’t seen Grier throw during a game, and Harris’ work against the first-string defense came only in the latter half of last year, Tabor said one of the noticeable differences in practice from last season is the secondary is now being tested by the quarterbacks and wide receivers.

"We used to not get beat last year in practice," Tabor said.

"Nobody really tested us, so we got to the games and it was a different ball game. Now we’re getting tested in practice with all these different route combinations."

Whether Tabor is knocking former offensive coordinator Kurt Roper’s offense or the quarterback play of Jeff Driskel, who will start at Louisiana Tech this season after transferring, is unclear.

But Tabor didn’t mince words when he said McElwain and wide receivers coach Kerry Dixon have made it a priority to make the team’s wide receivers realize how crucial they are to not just the success of the offense, but perhaps the success of the team.

"Last year they were just guys," Tabor said.

"Coach Mac, he needs his receivers. He’s making them feel like they can be somebody. They’re getting open, they’re fighting and they’re competing. Last year they wouldn’t compete as much."

Penalties kill progress: The Gators were called for 80 penalties last season — a number McElwain says is inexcusable and unforgivable.

On Friday, McElwain threw an undisclosed defensive lineman out of the team’s scrimmage for committing an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

He used it as a lesson to the Gators: Commit selfish penalties and you’ll find yourself on the bench.

"We had one unsportsmanlike conduct on a defensive lineman that I kicked out of the scrimmage," McElwain said.

"That’s not how it works. He’s gone. That’s the way it is. Those are the unforced errors that have been the Achilles heel for a long time around here. I’m tired of it. If that’s the way you’re going to act, go sit on the bench. Somebody else can play."

Florida committed the third-most penalties in the Southeastern Conference last season behind Missouri and Auburn, but to redshirt junior defensive lineman Bryan Cox Jr. it seemed like the Gators metaphorically shot themselves in the foot more often than not.

"We need to clean that up because it’s a lot of hidden lost yardage," Cox said. "When you get penalties, you’re getting negative yards for the offense. Get penalties and you don’t play."

Follow Graham Hall on Twitter @Graham311