Coaches working Hines at tight end, wide receiver

Fans will have to wait until the season opener Sept. 4 to see which Florida pass catchers emerge as quarterback John Brantley’s weapons, but they should expect to see wide receiver Omarius Hines on the field. Where exactly he will line up, however, remains a mystery.

Hines has worked at receiver and tight end throughout the preseason, and he even said Tuesday that he has lined up in the backfield. The latter position came as a surprise to everyone, including running backs coach Stan Drayton, who said he has not seen Hines take any snaps “back there.”

Coaches have confirmed he is playing tight end, though. And while he is still raw at the position, the 6-foot, 219-pound receiver has the physical tools to succeed, reminding some of a former Gator.

“He’s like a modern-day [Cornelius Ingram], but in a smaller form,” offensive lineman Carl Johnson said. “He’s too big for corners and too fast for linebackers, so he’s that hybrid player. It’s fun watching him, to see those little [defensive backs] try to tackle someone that big and see those linebackers try so hard but can’t even come close to catching him.”

Ingram hasn’t suited up for Florida since 2008, when he missed the whole season after suffering a torn ACL in his left knee. But Hines, who was redshirted that season, has spent more time watching film of last year’s starter, Aaron Hernandez.

The biggest difference in receiving the ball as a tight end is focusing more on ball protection, as the defenders waiting to hit him will be linebackers rather than smaller cornerbacks and safeties, Hines said.

“There’s a lot more people around you now so you got to keep your head on a swivel as soon as you get the ball,” he said.

Regardless of where he plays, Hines will be expected to contribute to an inexperienced receiving corps this season. With 14 career catches, Hines is tied for second behind Deonte Thompson for the most productive active Gators receiver.

“He can be an outside receiver, and he’s big enough where he can block and still get out and catch the ball,” Brantley said. “He’s fast enough to do anything. He’s going to be a big asset for our offense.”

No QB draws: “John Brantley is not Tim Tebow” has become a standard response among players and coaches when comparing the two quarterbacks this preseason.

But while nobody expects Brantley to carry the ball 217 times like Tebow did last season, the quarterback said he is willing to run as much as needed this year. However, Brantley added the coaches have yet to call a designed quarterback run this summer.

Death of a “branstache”: The fate of Brantley’s wispy mustache, an apparent point of contention between the quarterback and position coach Scot Loeffler, came to a head this week when Brantley shaved the facial hair. However, he said the decision was his, calling the mustache “a camp thing.”