Notebook: Robey working with first-team offense at center

<p>Junior Sam Robey replaced sophomore Jonotthan Harrison at center after halftime against Vanderbilt, and he worked with the first team in practice on Monday.</p>

Junior Sam Robey replaced sophomore Jonotthan Harrison at center after halftime against Vanderbilt, and he worked with the first team in practice on Monday.

After replacing sophomore center Jonotthan Harrison on Saturday, junior Sam Robey took the first-team reps in Monday’s practice.

Harrison was pulled against Vanderbilt when one of his snaps sailed over senior quarterback John Brantley’s head, resulting in a loss of 21 yards.

Harrison’s snaps were slightly off target for the majority of the game.

Saturday’s starter against South Carolina is yet to be determined.

“We’re not really sure how this is going to play out yet,” offensive coordinator Charlie Weis said. “One thing we’re not going to do is just stand pat.”

Weis added that Harrison’s inability to accurately snap the ball threw off the timing of the offense, both in terms of the run game and pass protection.

Harrison, who played primarily at guard before switching positions during spring practice, could potentially be used at guard if Robey starts at center, Weis said.

Sophomore guard Kyle Koehne said he does not expect to start this week.

Weis said senior guard Dan Wenger would likely be ready to play after leaving UF’s game against Vanderbilt last week with an undisclosed injury.

Joyer progressing: Freshman fullback Hunter Joyer is coming off of his busiest game of the season and could take on an even bigger role in the future.

Joyer played more than 30 snaps Saturday, all without a mental error, Weis said.

“His arrow is pointing way up,” Weis said. “He is still figuring it out, but he’s a football player. He has good football intelligence. He’s physical, and he’s not even playing as physical as he can yet.”

At 5-foot-10, 242 pounds, Joyer’s combination of size and speed is the reason Weis could envision using him as a “pound-it runner” in the powerful, downhill system UF would like to develop.

“He could definitely be one of those one-back, stand-up guys that the defense is getting hit harder than they’re hitting,” Weis said.

Back in action: Brantley looked “pretty good” in practice Tuesday after sitting out Monday with a right arm injury, Weis said.

“He probably could’ve practiced yesterday, but we just thought we got two things out of that,” Weis said.

“He got more rest and the other guys got more work, so that worked out for everyone. But he took almost all the reps today.”

Senior running back Chris Rainey was also back in practice Tuesday after missing the game against Vanderbilt with a sprained ankle.

Weis implied Rainey would be able to play come Saturday.

“It doesn’t look like a game-time decision,” Weis joked.

Uncertain future: Running back Jeff Demps, who reportedly debated pursuing a professional track career in the offseason, said he hasn’t decided what he will do after this season.

He has carried 70 times for 494 yards and six touchdowns this year and likely has a future in the NFL, but he has also been timed at a wind-aided 9.96 seconds in the 100-meter dash.

Contact Greg Luca at gluca@alligator.org.