From the Sports Editors: Rivalries should be put on hold in wake of FSU shooting

<p>FSU students stand together at the Integration Statue Gathering of Unity on Thursday evening, holding lit candles to honor their classmates who were injured in the shooting that took place at Strozier Library early that morning.</p>

FSU students stand together at the Integration Statue Gathering of Unity on Thursday evening, holding lit candles to honor their classmates who were injured in the shooting that took place at Strozier Library early that morning.

Early Thursday morning, a gunman shot and wounded three students at Strozier Library on Florida State’s campus in Tallahassee.

While we here at alligatorSports write about UF sports and athletics in general, we want to make a note about setting aside the Florida-Florida State rivalry and supporting our sister school after such a tragedy.

Florida State athletic director Stan Wilcox released a statement on FSU’s athletics website Thursday, stating athletics will continue as scheduled.

"Following tragic times like we experienced today, athletic events can help in unifying both the student body and community," Wilcox said in the statement. "That is our hope in moving forward with these events."

And that couldn’t be a more accurate statement. For many, sports are used as an outlet to get away from their daily lives. It serves as a sanctuary, a safe haven that they always know is there.

For Florida State, whether it’s watching the football team take on Boston College on Saturday, seeing its women’s soccer team take on Northeastern in the second round of the NCAA Tournament or watching any other sporting event it offers on campus, athletics are one constant that can’t (and shouldn’t) be shaken.

Sports provide an end goal, something to look forward to amidst the horrible events that occurred Thursday morning.

With the Thanksgiving holiday coming up, it should serve as a time of unity among all Florida schools.

Current and former UF players are showing their support for the school that’s just two hours to the north.

Former Florida safety Ahmad Black (@ahmadblack35) tweeted "Can’t even imagine what the families were going through waiting to see if their kids was safe.. cherish every blessing #PrayForFSU" at 3:59 a.m.

Freshman swimmer Caeleb Dressel (@caelebdressel), whose sister is on the FSU swimming and diving team, posted "Prayers for FSU and the students involved, this could happen anywhere #PrayForFSU" at 7:27 a.m.

Former Florida quarterback Tim Tebow (@TimTebow) tweeted "My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and families of the FSU shooting." At 9:51 a.m.

Senior volleyball libero Holly Pole tweeted "As big of a rivalry it is, certain things are just way more important. Thoughts and prayers for FSU" on her account (@hpoleswag) at 1:33 p.m.

As the Florida-Florida State football game approaches on Nov. 29, remember it is just that — a game.

Once the clock hits zero at Doak Campbell Stadium next Saturday, everyone’s lives will return back to normal.

The in-state rivalry that comes and goes once a year in each sport should not be more important than the safety of our peers because of a silly college rivalry.

Follow Eden Otero on Twitter @Edenotero_l, follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126