<p>UF wide receiver Antonio Callaway breaks free for a 66-yard touchdown during Florida's 27-3 win against Georgia on Oct. 31, 2015, at EverBank Field in Jacksonville.</p>

UF wide receiver Antonio Callaway breaks free for a 66-yard touchdown during Florida's 27-3 win against Georgia on Oct. 31, 2015, at EverBank Field in Jacksonville.

In the last nine months, Antonio Callaway has been suspended from his university, isolated from his teammates and accused of sexual assault.

“There was a lot of time to sit and think,” Florida coach Jim McElwain said.

On Monday, three days after Callaway’s lawyer, Huntley Johnson, confirmed that UF’s star receiver was found not responsible in a Title IX sexual assault hearing, McElwain addressed the receiver's situation.

And while Florida’s coach would not comment on any of the specifics surrounding Callaway eligibility — including whether or not the sophomore will be cleared to play when the Gators open their season against Massachusetts on Sept. 3 — he did discuss Callaway’s marijuana use.

In the hearing officer report released by Johnson from Callaway’s Title IX case, Callaway admitted to being high on marijuana during a sexual encounter with a woman that led to the sexual assault accusation.

According to a report released by ESPN, the incident occurred in December, before Florida’s Jan. 1 bowl game against Michigan.

“I'm here to help,” McElwain said. “And if it becomes one of those deals that through the counseling hasn’t worked and that kind of stuff, you know, then there will be some harder consequences.”

Callaway has been practicing with Florida since it began preseason camp on August 4 and will continue to do so. McElwain said he can not comment on any punishments that may or may not have been given to Callway, but wants to help Callaway grow from his mistakes.

“He has dealt with a lot. Obviously not being around on campus. Not being a part of the family. Not being a part of what we can do to help, be supportive,” McElwain said. “So, what have I seen? I think time will tell.”

Contact Ian Cohen at icohen@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @icohenb.