Uriah LeMay is 17 years old, but he was in Gainesville to celebrate the Gators winning a BCS title before most students on campus applied to college.

However, none of that sports stuff really interested the young LeMay, who grew up in Gainesville while his dad served as a chaplain for the Gators’ football team under former coach Urban Meyer.

Although football runs in both his brothers’ blood, as well as that of his dad, Stacy, who played football for Florida A&M, LeMay said he was never a sports nut as a kid. While his older brother, Christian, would be soaking in stats from ESPN on television, Uriah said he would be in the backyard playing with the dog or hanging from monkey bars.

When former UF quarterback Chris Leak came over to the LeMay house to have dinner, he asked his big brother, “Who’s Chris Leak?” At the time, LeMay only knew Tim Tebow’s name because they had talked about their shared Christian beliefs when Tebow was a freshman at UF and LeMay thought he was a “cool” mentor.

And after his time playing  flag football in pee-wee leagues was spent, he quit the game because he said he was scared of getting hit. He grew up watching his two brothers from the sidelines, including Christian, who is now a freshman quarterback at Georgia.

Finally, cheerleading got old for the middle LeMay boy, who dipped his speedy feet back into the game as a linebacker and running back at the beginning of his middle school career.

By eighth grade, he had made the transition to wide receiver.

“That’s when I started to become the player I am today,” he said.

The player LeMay is today, a 6-foot-2, 188-pound junior from Matthews (N.C.) Butler High, holds 18 scholarship offers. He said Alabama, Rutgers, LSU, Tennessee, Florida and FSU are the schools recruiting him most heavily.

LeMay said his ideal school will provide “just honesty from the coaches about how everything is going, how things will be going when I get there, as well as just a safe environment.”