Florida will be well represented when the USA Softball Women’s National Team competes internationally this Summer.

Freshman pitcher Kelly Barnhill, senior infielder Kelsey Stewart, catcher Aubree Munro and former Gator Michelle Moultrie were among the 18 athletes whittled down from an initial group of 40 to represent the United States.

With her selection, Barnhill became the youngest player given a roster spot on the U.S. Women's National Team since Ashley Hanson from Stanford was selected in 2009.

Florida’s four athletes selected are the most from any school. Of the team’s 18 members, nine hail from the Southeastern Conference.

Also, sophomore Nicole DeWitt was selected to be a member of the U.S. Women's Elite Team.

"What a great opportunity for these five outstanding individuals to continue to learn and develop while playing for their country. I'm proud of all of them and can't wait to see how they perform this summer playing for the red, white and blue,” coach Tim Walton said in a release.

The team will be competing at the World Cup of Softball XI, the XV World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) Women's World Championship in Surrey, B.C., Canada and the Japan Cup.

Follow Brian Lee on Twitter @brianlee_17

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.