Architecture admirers can discuss modern buildings and their impact at The Hippodrome State Theatre’s three-part film series on architecture.

“Constructive Conversations: Architecture Film Series and Public Dialogue,” presented by Gainesville Modern and the UF School of Architecture, hopes to promote cultural engagement and community dialogue, said David Forest, executive director of Gainesville Modern. The films and public forums are free to the public.

“Coast Modern,” a film featuring modern architecture on the west coast, was shown Saturday afternoon. The film discussed the impact modern architecture has had on humans and how the design of one’s home can influence their life.

Afterward, a panel of experts answered questions and opened the theatre to discussion among the audience on topics featured in the film. The panel and the audience discussed buildings in Gainesville that have the characteristics of modern architecture, such as the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity house and Heavener Hall.

“If you appreciate good design, if you live in it, it seeps into your psyche,” said Forrest Lyle, a  retired architect and UF professor.

The next film in the series, “People in Glass Houses” will be shown on Jan. 31 at 1 p.m. It will discuss architect Joseph Eichler and his ability to bring good design and architecture to the masses, Forest said.

Steve Jobs grew up in a modern home designed by architect Joseph Eichler, Lyle said. Lyle believes that this impacted Jobs’ ability to design technology that influenced an entire generation.

The third and final film, “Citizen Architect,” is screening at 1 p.m. on Feb. 7.  This film features architect Samuel Mockbee and his impact on architecture students at Auburn University.

Each film in the series will be followed by a different panel of experts to discuss the film and answer any questions the audience might have.

“Architecture is one of the most public of art forms, but we tend to go throughout our day without noticing it,” Forest said.

[A version of this story ran on page 9 on 1/22/2015 under the headline “Architecture film series, panel discussion at the Hipp"]