ARTWALK to showcase architecture projects

UF students and local architects will showcase the creative side of architecture.

Student and professional members of the American Institute of Architects will participate in downtown Gainesville’s ARTWALK today from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

“It’s an opportunity to bring together students and professionals to show the artistic component of architecture,” said Ron Haase, a board member for the American Institute of Architects Gainesville chapter.

About six architecture students will showcase their conceptual models at the exhibit, titled “Light Up the Night”. Professional members of AIA will be presenting their paintings, sculptures and other things.

Conceptual models are creative, abstract models based on an idea or inspiration usually created in a variety of mediums, including paper, wood, laser printing, bass wood and illustration boards.

The architects will also present other artwork to the public ranging from paintings to mixed-media designs.

Haase said many of the members are eager to show people they do more than design buildings.

“Architects have another side of their personalities. Many are artists,” Haase said.

The event will take place at 315 SE Second Ave., which is now the new headquarters of the American Institute of Architects Gainesville Chapter.

Andres Camacho, a 20-year-old UF architecture junior, said creativity is essential to what architects do.

“Architecture itself is a form of art,” said Camacho, president of the student chapter of American Institute of Architects.

Camacho will be presenting a project he created for class that focuses on the vertical structure of buildings.

“Using your creative side in architecture is essential,” he said.