Asian Elephant
Asian Elephant

Last November, a bike equipped with an enormous elephant sculpture rode down the streets of Gainesville. Behind it, cyclists pulled a small stage with the local band Flat Land.

On Saturday, Flat Land and the Conservation Initiative for the Asian Elephant will meet again, this time adding local band Endless Pools to the lineup.

The benefit concert at First Magnitude Brewing Company, located at 1220 SE Veitch St., aims to raise awareness and funds for the conservation of elephants and rhinos, said Ron Chandler, the president and a cofounder of CIFAE.

“We try to strike a balance between getting as much as we can in financial donations while also encouraging a lot of participation,” he said.

The event features the two bands, discounts on beer, an arts-and-crafts table for kids and CIFAE merchandise.

“It’s the perfect storm of great stuff for Gainesville at large,” said Jacob Adams, a guitarist for Endless Pools.

The event coincides with the annual Global March for Elephants and Rhinos, which will be held Sunday at 10:30 a.m. on the Plaza of the Americas.

Chandler said he hopes to see new faces at the concert and increase attendance at the march.

About 250 people are expected to attend the concert, he said.

“I’m always shocked at how many people we can actually get to turn out,” said Julia Jeanty, the general manager of CIFAE and a 20-year-old UF sustainability studies and environmental geosciences junior.

Chandler said the event appeals to everyone.

“Elephants aren’t politicized,” he said. “It’s a movement everyone can get behind.”

And Gainesville is getting behind the movement, said Sarah Stettner, a CIFAE member and UF student.

“Gainesville is known for local activism, which is pretty cool, and we’re just trying to increase that,” the 22-year-old sustainability studies senior said.

The money raised is going toward making a large area of northeast India a world heritage site. It’s home to one of the five largest herds of Asian elephants in the world, and it’s one of the most pristine areas in all of Southeast Asia.

“That’s our No. 1 focus for the next number of years,” Chandler said.

Adams said Endless Pools is looking forward to performing with Flat Land and raising money for the cause.

“We’re talking about elephants, and everyone loves elephants,” Chandler said.

The Global March for Elephants and Rhinos Benefit Concert will be held from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday at First Magnitude Brewing Company. The event is free and open to all ages.