Tebow becomes third Heisman winner in UF history

NEW YORK - Tim Tebow had stayed calm all week, but his parents noticed a change in him Saturday evening.

BThe suspense was nerve-wracking,C his father, Bob, said.

Tebow is not known for getting butterflies before games, but waiting inside the Nokia Theater in Times Square provided suspense not even the strong-armed sophomore quarterback could hold down.

About an hour before Brian D. Obergfell announced his name as the Heisman Trophy winner, Tebow huddled in a secluded room with his boyhood hero, Danny Wuerffel, and prayed.

BThat helped,C his mom, Pam, said. BThat was just great of Danny, very considerate, because I think he knew Timmy was going to win. And I think anybody would be nervous because you can?t control the situation. You can control a football game.C

Then a slightly more calmed, yet still anxious Tebow continued his record-breaking season on the field by making history off of it.

He became the first underclassman to win the Heisman in its 73-year history as he beat out Arkansas running back Darren McFadden for the award.

Tebow lifted the trophy with his one healthy hand as he sported a Gator blue cast on his right one after breaking it against Florida State.

BYou?re known forever as a Heisman Trophy winner, that?s very special,C Tebow said. BIt?s an honor. It really is. It?s overwhelming. I?m at a loss for words.C

Well, he can let the final tally do the talking.

Tebow finished with 1,957 points, including 462 first-place votes, to edge McFadden?s total of 1,703 points.

Other finalists Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan (632 points) and Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel (425 points) finished third and fourth, respectively.

Tebow became the third Gator to win a Heisman, joining fellow quarterbacks Wuerffel in 1996 and Steve Spurrier in 1966.

BIt?s just a great opportunity for him,C said Wuerffel, who attended the ceremony along with Gators coach Urban Meyer, offensive coordinator Dan Mullen and the entire Tebow family. BHe?s such a good kid. He?s going to represent so well, and I?m so excited for him.C

Upon hearing his name, Tebow walked up a few steps to accept the award, and Wuerffel emerged from a standing line of past winners to congratulate him.

BDanny Wuerffel was a big role model for me growing up,C Tebow said. BThat was a special moment.C

He choked up before voicing his unprepared acceptance speech.

But the nation?s strongest quarterback fought back tears and made it through his thank yous, speeding his words as he got caught up in the moment.

BIt?s just overwhelming,C Tebow said of the moment. BI?m thankful and honored. A lot of things went through your mind, but the No. 1 thing is that it?s overwhelming.C

The main arguments against Tebow lifting the bronze trophy were his sophomore status and his team?s three losses.

Then Hawaii coach June Jones came out last Sunday and denounced Tebow as a product of an offensive system.

Meyer, whose Gators host Hawaii in the 2008 season opener, denounced the system talk with Tebow by his side after the ceremony.

BPersonnel is all that matters,C Meyer said. BTim Tebow can run whatever offense.C

Tebow more than made up for his criticized shortcomings with one of the greatest statistical seasons in NCAA history.

He completed 217-of-317 passes for 3,132 yards, 29 touchdowns and six interceptions with a 177.9 rating, the highest of any Heisman winner.

On the ground, he rushed 194 times for 838 yards and 22 touchdowns.

Tebow became the only player in NCAA history with at least 20 rushing and 20 passing touchdowns in one year.

The new Heisman winner will lead UF to play Michigan in the Capital One Bowl on New Year?s Day.

But before that, the humble Tebow can bask in the glory.

He left the Nokia Theater and walked across Broadway to the Hard Rock Café in the heart of Times Square as Gators fans and New Yorkers alike screamed his name and snapped camera-phone pictures.

The only question left is, will he return to New York in 2008 and 2009?

BI?ve already been asked that a bunch of times,C Tebow said. BI?m just going to worry about Michigan this year.C