In response to Kevin Micocci's Monday column, it's satisfying to know that someone is willing to speak out for the girls that are being unjustly arrested for drinking underage. Sadly, the police department here in Gainesville is running amok, disbursing officers all over the town to reprimand these innocent and undeserving girls.

What do these "law enforcers" hope to achieve with these "pointless arrests" inside bars? A decrease in drunken driving? Less alcohol-related sexual abuse? It all sounds good on paper, but at what cost?

Upholding a federal law, they say. It's nonsensical excuses like these that ruin the college experience, which is evidently synonymous with underage drinking. Our society is in a very sad state of affairs when a fraternity can't even serve alcohol to underage students without having the police stop them.

Micocci was right about Gainesville: Underage drinking isn't the real alcohol problem. It's that people like him seem to view it as the only means of enjoyment here.