UNC, Auburn students dead after off-campus shootings

Two college students died this week after being shot in North Carolina and Alabama.

Eve Carson, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Student Body president and political science and biology senior, was shot to death Wednesday. Carson's body was identified Thursday.

Lauren Burk, an Auburn University freshman, died from a single gunshot wound Tuesday, stated an Auburn Police Division news release.

UF spokesman Steve Orlando said the University Police Department was aware of the shootings but did not plan to alter UF's security.

Orlando said using the emergency text-messaging system might be used in a similar situation at UF, but it would depend on the case.

"Ten miles away from campus, maybe not, but if it's a gunman right across the street, probably so," he said.

Carson, 22, was discovered on a street about a mile from the UNC campus Wednesday after neighbors reported hearing gunshots at about 5 a.m.

Her body was identified Thursday morning.

She was shot several times and at least once in the head.

A witness reported seeing her car, a blue 2005 Toyota Highlander with Georgia plates, on a main road of the college town.

Lt. Kevin Gunter, spokesman for the Chapel Hill Police Department, wouldn't confirm if the police had found Carson's car.

Counselors from UNC and nearby Duke University were available to speak to students, including some who passed out flowers before Carson's candlelight vigil Thursday.

"We have lost someone whom we cherish and love," university Chancellor James Moeser told a massive crowd on the school's quad. "We're all in a state of shock."

Police said it appeared to be a random crime, and there are no suspects.

The murder of Lauren Burk, 18, was still under investigation Thursday by the Auburn Police Division and the FBI.

Auburn Police received a call from an injured female, later identified as Burk, at about 9 p.m. Tuesday.

Nearly a half hour later, a second 911 call reported a car, registered to Burk, on fire several miles away in a campus parking lot.

Police said in a news release that they have since increased officer patrols on the Auburn University campus.

Burk's sorority sisters held a vigil for her on Wednesday evening.

Alabama Gov. Bob Riley's office is offering a $10,000 reward for anyone who gives information leading to an arrest in this case.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.