Haylee "Ugh" Slaughter likes where she is in life.

The classically trained pianist and local musician has a studio demo scheduled in Leesburg, Fla., in August and is currently working on her fourth album, "Write On!"

The 28-year-old musician strives to spend her time trying new things, though she said she was born to do three things in life.

"I was born to play music. I was born to play rugby," Slaughter said. "My whole life, I lived and wanted to be a Gator. That's all."

She accomplished one of her goals after graduating from UF in 2003 with degrees in business administration and exercise and sports sciences. The singer-songwriter from Oxford, Fla., then spent time visiting friends, recording music and finding herself.

Seeking clarity of purpose, she spent Memorial Day that year fasting, praying and swimming in Lake Holden where she said she felt close to God.

The next day, she lost her job.Slaughter said irony has a way of biting her in the ass, which plays a role in her music as well as in the naming of her instruments. She names them after the influences in her life.

Her current lineup includes Grace Martin Slaughter, OD, Bill and Darby O'Gill, a piano that received an Irish name after it was played at Brophy's Irish Pub.

After going on a road trip and having new experiences to write about, Slaughter returned to Gainesville.

When she isn't working or creating new music, Slaughter trains with the UF Men's Rugby team. She credits rugby with being 25 percent of who she is, music as 35 percent. The rest, she said, is "loving all the things Tom Petty sings about."

But rugby isn't the only sport that keeps Slaughter entertained. Her third album, "He's Got My Heart," was written for former UF basketball star Lee Humphrey. Although they share no actual relations, Slaughter said she feels connected to him because they locked eyes a few times. Slaughter first noticed Humphrey during a game his sophomore year.

"A time-out was called, and he glanced in my direction, and we locked eyes, and he completely stopped and held the gaze a moment too long," she said. "I was so flattered. This nice, wholesome Christian boy who happens to be a great athlete thought I was pretty. Ever since then, I was very fond of him."

However, she is flattered when people say her music helped them out.

"I just want to put the song across. I couldn't care less if they get me in person," she said. "I want them to get the song and be able to apply it to their hearts and lives."