Child left in critical condition after Friday collision

A 3-year-old boy remains in critical condition after a car crash Friday.

Rachelle Jago, 26, was driving south on Williston Road at 1:30 p.m. with passenger Brian Jackson Jr., 3, according to a Florida Highway Patrol report.

When Jago's black Mitsubishi drifted to the right, she overcorrected and swerved left, crossing into the path of an oncoming furniture truck. The truck hit the right side of the car, which slid onto the left shoulder of the rode. The car and both passengers were thrown into a ditch full of standing water. Neither were wearing seat belts.

The driver of the truck and his two passengers, all wearing seat belts, were unharmed.

Passenger Chris Chambers, of Gainesville, said he had been sleeping in the truck until the crash.

"There was nothing we could do," Chambers said.

Chambers kicked his door open to see Jago lying in the ditch, which was littered with children's toys from the car.

"I pulled her out of the ditch," he said.

"Then someone yelled there was a kid."

Both Jackson and Jago were brought to Shands at UF, where Jackson remains in critical condition, contrary to a verbal report from the Alachua County Sheriff's Office that he had died.

Information on Jago's condition is unavailable.

Criminal charges are pending.

Alligator photographer Andrew Stanfill contributed to this report.