Water pong tournament funds UF organization's projects in South Africa

Members of a UF student organization played a drinking game Tuesday that won't meet the disapproval of UF officials.

A Spring of Hope, a new UF organization dedicated to building wells and clinics on school grounds in South Africa, sponsored a "water pong" tournament held on the Reitz Union North Lawn.

The proceeds from the fundraiser will go toward building wells at schools in the Limpopo Province of rural South Africa.

Jonathan Ossip, president of the organization's UF chapter and co-founder of the international organization, said building a water source on school grounds creates a better environment for students' health and education in South Africa.

Ossip said the wells cost between $2,000 and $5,000 and bring a contaminant-free source of drinking water, a more sanitary environment and a means to water the gardens, which grow food to feed the children while they are in school.

Nine teams paid $5 each to play, while other passers-by bought wristbands and made donations.

In total, the club raised $122.26, which exceeded its $100 goal for the day, Ossip said.

The grand prize was a $25 gift certificate to Gumby's Pizza and $10 to Smoothie Paradise, while the runners-up received a $20 gift certificate to Gator Dawgs.

John Fedele, a UF freshman, was a member of the winning team.

Fedele said the event was a fun way to support a good cause.

Silvio Casco, UF freshman and Fedele's teammate, said he admires the organization for having a fundraiser during finals week.

Ossip and three friends started the national organization after they visited South Africa last summer.

The friends was there to make a documentary entitled "Water" after a travel companion who vacationed in the country a few years earlier told them about the shortage at South African schools.

After a year, the organization has about 15 high school and college chapters, he said.