GPD arrests passenger after dispute causes car accident

The front-seat passenger of a car that crashed into a house in Northwest Gainesville was arrested Thursday morning.

The arrest came after police attributed the car accident to a physical dispute between the car's driver and passenger, said Gainesville Police Officer Kelly Weaver, who was on the scene.

A woman was driving the car west on Northwest 54th Avenue with her 72-year-old mother in the passenger seat around 11:30 a.m. when the two began to argue, Weaver said.

Police reported that the passenger pulled the driver's hair, causing the steering wheel to shift to the right, he said.

The car veered off the road and into the house, Weaver said.

"It was a very low-speed crash," he said.

The car came to a stop in the living room of a home at 3020 NW 54th Ave. while the owners were in the kitchen, Weaver said.

"They walked around and saw a car in the house," Weaver said.

He said the driver and the owners of the house were not hurt, and the car was still drivable.

The passenger was arrested on charges of domestic battery.

She was taken to the hospital in accordance with procedures but did not appear to be injured, Weaver said.