Hopefully, UF will take a big green leap in the right direction today.

We think they will.

UF's Board of Trustees is finally voting on the environmentfriendly proposal that would cost students a mere 50 cents per credit hour, which translates to about $645,000 of revenue each year.

Even better, the proposal leaves the fate of the money in the hands of those who really know the buildings on campus. UF's Physical Plant and Housing departments are going to request upgrades, and then students and faculty get to choose which requests to fund.

Nobody knows better than the student body which dorms have the stankest hallways and bathrooms, and no group is more familiar with the dank, unfriendly nether regions of Norman and Rolfs Halls than the faculty.

We don't think these two esteemed groups can fail in their renovation recommendations.

The Editorial Board hopes the Trustees pass this tiny fee that has such big potential. President Machen wants a top 10 ranking, and we feel this pro-planet-Earth move couldn't hurt.

If nothing else, we'll accrue some trendy solar panels so we can be smug about how environmentally conscious our school is while our friends up on I-10 trudge around in run-down, foul-smelling, solar-panel-less Tallahassee.

C'mon, Board of Trustees, do it for the freshmen crammed in moldy triples and the bookworms who reek of third-story Marston bookshelves because that air is staler than the Five Star we ordered on the way home from Grog last Friday.

Actually, just do it because it's a good idea that won't break our banks.