If not for the cars parked in the distance, it could have been a real 19th-century luncheon.

About 30 people dressed in Victorian-themed clothing picnicked on fields of Kanapaha Park Saturday afternoon.

Top hat-wearing men and parasol-toting women came for a celebration of steampunk, a subculture that combines 19th-century culture with futuristic technology.

The subculture is featured in movies such as "Wild Wild West" starring Will Smith and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" starring Sean Connery, said Jenny Underwood, who planned the event with her husband, Adam.

The two decided to organize the picnic after attending a science-fiction convention in Atlanta, she said.

Attendees researched 19th-century menus and recreated dishes, including deviled eggs, shortbread cookies, salmon spread and orange balls, which are made from cranberries and cheddar cheese.

Guests also played croquet and listened to music by steampunk bands, such as Abney Park.

People create personalized touches to their costumes by adding on pieces such as goggles and watch parts, she said.

Although steampunk is not as popular in Florida, Driscoll said in parts of New York and the western states some people make it a part of their daily life, decorating their homes and wearing Victorian styles on a daily basis.

The turnout surprised the Underwoods, who only expected about five people to show up based on a Facebook event page.

They said they have plans for a steampunk séance, which would incorporate the Victorian sense of spiritualism.

Adam Underwood, who wore a top hat, vest and old-fashioned spectacles, said steampunk was a natural fit for him.

"I've been dressing this way forever," Underwood said.