Two–month road construction project to increase travel time

Driving down Archer or Newberry roads will take about 15 to 20 minutes longer thanks to construction beginning next week, said Gina Busscher, Florida Department of Transportation spokeswoman.

A two-month resurfacing project alternating between Archer Road, east of 34th Street, and Newberry Road, west of 43rd Street, begins Monday, said Chip Skinner, FDOT spokesman.

Busscher said the department initiated the $600,000 project because depressions in the roadways were unsafe for drivers and could have opened up to form holes.

"It was such a dip that when people drove over it at certain speeds they could possibly lose control," she said. "It was quite a jolt."

The roads will be under construction Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

There will be a break in construction on Oct. 24 for UF's Homecoming celebration.

Access to certain businesses in those areas could be affected, but Busscher said it's even more important that people make it to their destinations on time.

The start date was originally set for Tuesday, but the contractor had equipment trouble, Skinner said.