When we heard that a Jacksonville high school was going to change its name because it was named after a controversial historical figure, all we could think of was the movie "Forrest Gump."

In the movie, Tom Hanks' unapologetically Southern jack-of-all-trades was named after millionaire slave trader and Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest.

The movie also depicts Bedford Forrest as a leader of the Ku Klux Klan, so it's pretty easy to understand why the Duval County School Board would rather not name a high school after him.

We agree that any affiliation with the notoriously racist and violent organization is probably reason enough to separate his name from what is now a predominantly black high school.

The problem with that is, it isn't our decision. What really matters is whether NBFHS students think the name is offensive.

If public school students who don't have a choice about which school they attend think the name degrades their school, then incorporate them into the process of choosing a new name.

On the other hand, if it doesn't bother them, then save the city residents' hard-earned tax dollars that would go toward changing the letterhead.

The school board should be concerned with political correctness, but should consult with the students rather than excluding them from the process.