ORLANDO - After an early season full of glass and iron, Chandler Parsons finally found some nylon.

Parsons shot through his frustration to score 17 points in No. 17 UF's (5-1) 86-65 win against Missouri-Kansas City (3-5) on Sunday during the Florida Hospital Gator Jam at Amway Arena.

The Casselberry native, who was replaced in the starting lineup for the second consecutive game by freshman Allan Chaney, rediscovered his touch in front of an arena full of family and friends.

"A lot of times when a player feels like his back is against the wall, you get to the point where you just go back to the most basic things," UF coach Billy Donovan said. "Chandler went out there and decided to be aggressive and just play."

Parsons was averaging 6 points per game and shooting 35 percent from the field before breaking out against the Kangaroos.

"I'm a confident shooter. I wasn't worried about them falling," Parsons said.

Even though Parsons finally got his shooting on track, the game was far from the easy win UF scheduled before the season.

With just under five minutes left in the first half, Missouri-Kansas City and guard Dane Brumagin (14 points in the half) had shot their way to a 32-29 lead, but the Gators quickly closed the door with an 11-0 run to end the half.

The Gators' hot shooting continued in the second. UF opened the half with a 7-0 run and quieted any thoughts of a Kangaroos upset.

After their hot start, Missouri-Kansas City shot just 34 percent from the field in the second half.

Alex Tyus continued to show he can be more than serviceable in the post. The big man scored a game-high 25 points (seven dunks) and grabbed eight rebounds.

Point guard Nick Calathes, who estimated 75 friends and family members came to watch him play, had 9 points in his Orlando homecoming.

But Calathes also had five turnovers, which led to more minutes for freshman Erving Walker.

Walker had 13 points, nine assists and five steals in his longest stretch of playing time (28 minutes) all season.

"Erving Walker played unbelievable," Donovan said. "He got in the lane and made the game easy for Alex Tyus."

Every time Walker drove down the lane, he seemed to find an open man to dish the ball off to.

"I feel like Erving can develop a connection with anyone the way he penetrates and finds the open man," Tyus said.

Walker, who at times this year has played too fast for his own good, is learning how to take things slow.

"It's an adjustment for me, but I'm learning pretty well," Walker said. "I'm trying to just slow down and run the team."

Donovan returned to Amway Arena Sunday for the first time since spurning the Magic in favor of a return to UF in June 2007.