Save your gas money for Atlanta, don't go to Tallahassee

I know part of my job is trying to get fans hopped up and excited for games, but I just don't have it in me this week.

Don't go to Tallahassee. Enjoy Thanksgiving with your families, and save your ticket and gas money for next weekend when No. 2 UF takes on No. 1 Alabama for the Southeastern Conference title.

Maybe it's because I didn't grow up around this rivalry, but UF-FSU just isn't doing it for me.

I know everyone has friends and even family on the other side. I know players on each team grew up together. I know Urban Meyer will only refer to Florida State as "The Team Out West," and I know there's a lot of history here.

Both teams were ranked in the top 10 for every meeting from 1990-2000, and national titles and huge recruiting battles were on the line each time. But the fact that UF-FSU used to be a great game doesn't make this a great game.

The 'Noles are revamped and trying for the ACC Championship, but that's not nearly enough to convince me they will succeed where LSU, Georgia and South Carolina failed miserably.

This rivalry will be back in full force someday, but that day isn't Saturday.

The Gators are playing unbeatable football right now. Their offense is one of the nation's best, and in a given week, their defense and special teams units could be responsible for just as many points.

Sure, Florida State has improved. But if Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford and South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier couldn't crack UF's secondary, why would I think FSU's Christian Ponder (12 touchdowns, 11 interceptions) can?

If this game were being played 10 years ago, I might buy into the notion that the idea of ruining the Gators' national title hopes is enough to put the Seminoles over the top.

But this isn't 10 years ago, the teams aren't even and the UF squad that fumbled away a game to Mississippi has disappeared into a dizzying seven-game win streak.

All the motivation in the world doesn't change the mammoth task ahead of coach Bobby Bowden's boys on Saturday.

Their defenders will have to match up with Percy Harvin, Jeff Demps, Chris Rainey, Louis Murphy and Aaron Hernandez - sometimes all at once.

They can't give up big plays or early scores, and a turnover in the wrong part of the field at the wrong time is akin to a death sentence. They'll have to keep Brandon Spikes away from the ball and cause a few crucial mistakes in the defensive backfield.

And even if they do all that, the 'Noles have to hope quarterback Tim Tebow has a bad day.

This isn't me trying to belittle Florida State out of hatred, either. The 'Noles don't bother me at all. I love Bowden, think FSU's campus is nicer than UF's and am quickly becoming a huge fan of genius/safety Myron Rolle.

I'm looking forward to Saturday for the same reason I was hopped up to go to Vanderbilt a few weeks ago - a chance to watch a game in a new stadium - and you should look forward to it as an opportunity to relax and watch a half of football before the leftover turkey puts you to sleep.