Tebow passes victory lap tradition to Brantley

Tim Tebow better have enjoyed that last victory lap around Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. UF's junior quarterback may never take another one in The Swamp again after Saturday's 70-13 debacle against The Citadel.

Tebow will be eligible to leave for the NFL Draft after this season, and while there is speculation whether a player with his throwing mechanics and hard running style can make it in the NFL, it will be a viable option for him.

If it was his last home affair, he made sure he left fans with a classic Tebow performance. Tebow attempted just 11 passes, but he completed nine of them and had 201 yards and three touchdowns through the air. He also bulldozed his way for 34 yards on the ground. He would've been able to add to those ridiculous stats total even more if he hadn't been taken out of the game after the Gators built a 42-0 lead in the second quarter.

Earlier in the week Tebow said he loves "being a Gator." So, even if he is a guaranteed first-round pick in the draft, knowing Tebow and his commitment to UF, he may not go anywhere.

"The more I'm here," Tebow said, "The longer I want to stay here."

A couple of guaranteed million can make you want to leave, though. It also makes it easier for Tebow to leave with the way redshirt freshman backup quarterback John Brantley has developed. Coach Urban Meyer said Brantley has had one "bad outing" out of the four games he has significantly played.

Tebow even brought Brantley out on that farewell lap. And with the way fans love Tebow and appreciate him for his outreach to fans, Brantley better get used to that.

"It was my idea, I made him come," Tebow said. "He was a little shy at first. Hopefully we can start a tradition."

Brantley finished 8-of-11 passing with 110 yards and a touchdown.

"He's shown management of the offense and management of the huddle, reads and signals," Meyer said.

With Brantley, who Meyer has said on several occasions will be a starting quarterback at UF one day, it's going to be a pressure-filled situation in replacing Tebow - whether it's this spring or a year from now.

"Obviously, those are big shoes to fill and hopefully I can do it," Brantley said.

Brantley is 18 for 28 on the year with three touchdowns and one interception.

"The game is definitely slowing down for me," Brantley said. "Coach Meyer asks me every day if it is and I'll say it definitely is. That's helping me out a bunch."