<p>UF tied for eighth place&nbsp;in the U.S. News and World Report’s 2019 list of top public universities. That is one place higher than last year's ranking.</p>

UF tied for eighth place in the U.S. News and World Report’s 2019 list of top public universities. That is one place higher than last year's ranking.

The sweet sounds of the Century Tower Carillon are turning 30 and will ring for an hour out of each month in 2009 to celebrate.

UF boasts one of the largest carillons in the nation and one of only four carillons in the state, according to Stephanie Smith, graduate assistant at the UF Carillon Studio.

"It's another thing we have that FSU doesn't have," Smith said.

The cast-bell carillon inside the tower is a musical instrument made up of 61 finely tuned bells with a five-octave range and is played using a combination of foot pedals and hanging batons, according to the UF Carillon at Century Tower Web site.

The tower rings at every quarter of the hour from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., helping students stay on time, and plays a distinctive song at the hour, according to the site.

On Sunday at 3 p.m., Century Tower will begin honoring its 30th year of making music with a recital by Dr. Laura Ellis, professional carillonneur and professor of organ, harpsichord and carillon.

Children and families, as well as students, are encouraged to come to the recital, Smith said.

"People can bring Frisbees or make a picnic out of it," she said. "It's going to be fine music, and you don't have to worry about making noise."