I have wanted to become involved in student politics ever since I arrived at UF last fall. But when I got here, I had no idea that UF had different political parties, like Orange and Blue, Gator or Unite.

I read in the Alligator that the Gator/Unite Party (which I will refer to as the Unite Party because they are one in the same, a name change prompted by the scandals in the fall) was fixing interviews so that only applicants with certain organizational affiliations would be selected for positions.

At Student Senate meetings, I observed time after time the Unite Party would select unqualified people over those with outstanding credentials for SG positions because the unqualified ones had personal loyalties to Unite's political leadership.

What I discovered was that the Unite Party tried to destroy minority protection laws in the SG rules because their party leadership did not want to be questioned.

It was very clear to me by the second Student Senate meeting that the Unite Party is extremely undemocratic.

At these same Student Senate meetings, I watched as the Orange and Blue Party tried to pass bills and was shot down every time by the Unite Party, even on blocking hand scanners, which 85 percent of the students disapproved of in the last election.

As a result, I became convinced that the only way change would happen is if the Orange and Blue Party took over Student Government.

It is for these reasons that I have interviewed to run with the Orange and Blue Party for a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences senate seat at the Reitz Union on the second floor. They will be interviewing today from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

I hope everyone interested in making Student Government as good as the quality of UF's students will come out.