Gainesville restaurant not closing from bad business

The 43rd Street Deli added its 13th Street location to a growing list of businesses closing in Gainesville, but the restaurant isn't suffering the same plight as those buckling under financial strain.

Richard Ross, former general manager of the 13th Street location and current manager of the original deli on 43rd Street, said the chain's owner sold the building to CVS because it was in disrepair and was losing money from maintenance-not lack of business.

"(CVS) just offered a decent amount for the location," he said.

According to Ross, three-quarters of the employees from the closed restaurant transferred to the 43rd Street or Williston Road locations. The owner is looking for a spot to build a third location. Ross said the restaurant is able to stay open because of the loyalty of its regular customers.

The remaining restaurants will incorporate the old location's vegetarian and vegan dishes to accommodate the 13th Street Deli's customers.

"We have to tighten up a little bit, but we can pay the bills," he said. "As long as you can pay the bills right now, you're doing well."