Two men charged with grand theft for stealing signs

Two men were arrested Monday and accused of stealing chairs, signs and flags.

At about 2:45 a.m., Gainesville Police officer Crystal Castor was patrolling Southwest 39th Boulevard and saw two men taking a wooden sign and a flag that belonged to the Greenwich Green apartment complex.

When she approached them they ran to a car and drove away, the GPD arrest report stated.

According to the report, when Castor pulled the men over, she handcuffed them and saw several other signs sitting in the back of the car.

When she asked them why they were stealing signs, Travis Jones, 20, said he and Matthew Clark, 18, did it because they were bored.

From the Greenwich Green apartment complex, they took a "Car Wash" sign, an "Office" sign, an orange flag and a handicapped-parking sign, the report stated.

Jones told Castor he and Clark had taken lawn chairs from patios and a "No Exit" sign from the Woodlands of Gainesville apartment complex, the report stated.

He also told Castor he and Clark took a "Slow: Children Playing" sign, a "Make Offer" sign and a "Welcome" flag from the Fairmont Oaks apartment complex.

Jones and Clark were charged with grand theft.